93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

missing when hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default missing when hot

ok i feel bad for posting so many threads but this is the latest issue with the car. Last weekend i was driving down the interstate and my lower radiator hose blew off and my car overheated. it wouldnt crank or anything. next day after i got the car towed home i went to start it and it cranked right up. ran almost perfect except it was missing. i checked the old plugs and they were burnt white . so i went out and bought a set of ac delco rapid fire plugs. the guy at the advanced auto said they were good for v6 engines. now after i replaced the plugs the car is still missing and all the plug wires appear to be fine. any other thing that couldve happened? oh and theres no cel

thank you all again for your input and helping me

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like you blew a few sensors. The coolant temp sensor for one. How long did it overheat for? I hope you didn't warp the heads.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Any check engine light? If so, what code(s)?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

what sensors would be messed up? and my coolant sensor still reads accurate when the cars running. and nope no cel, no codes.. i ran the car til it got to right before the 260 mark then i shut it off and coasted the next mile to an exit.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I hate to sound mean, but u sound like u know something about cars. So here it is.. How did u not smell the antifreeze until it reached 260. Antifreeze is such a unique smell that u know if u smell it, its bad news... Also, don't trust those stupid gauges inside ur car, they fail, and r inaccurate. Buy a set of mechanical gauges, oil and water temp then mount em where u can see em.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by duane18
...Last weekend i was driving down the interstate and my lower radiator hose blew off and my car overheated. it wouldnt crank or anything. next day after i got the car towed home i went to start it and it cranked right up. ran almost perfect except it was missing...
And..."i ran the car til it got to right before the 260 mark then i shut it off and coasted the next mile to an exit.
Basically, you did some damage by not shutting the engine down right away. Here's the breakdown (no pun intended):
1) When you blew the radiator hose, the engine drained itself of ALL the coolant. That's bad, and right then is when the thing should have been turned off, not a mile later.
2) The "260" degrees you read was NOT accurate, as there wasn't any coolant in the engine for the sensor to read. Coolant temperature is what gets read, not air temperature. The actual engine temperature would have been much higher than what you "thought" it was.
3) The engine wouldn't "crank or anything" right after that because it locked up from the extreme heat. Since you turned the engine off before it locked up, maybe some mechanical damage was done, maybe not. The fact that it started the next day after it cooled off and tolerances cleared back up might be a salvation...might.
4) When the engine got so hot, you could have warped a head, warped the intake manifold, or blew a gasket (head or intake).
Given the circumstances, I'd say you have something more serious than just a simple bad sensor.
One more thing. Going by your thread title: "missing when hot"; that's a classic symptom of a warped head, manifold, or even a slightly blown gasket. Been there.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-18-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

Hate to say it but sounds like you melted a piston or two. Killed your rings warped the heads. Heck you might have even warped the block. 260 is pretty high. Considering that would have been read with out coolant so that's based of heat radiating from the engine. I'd say get a compresion tester and check every cylinder and make sure they are all the same and close to the gm spec. Your going to need a new water pump as I'm guessing that's why it heated up so much.

As they said above the engine should have been shut off as soon as you say that temp jump up. And you should have seen the steam coming from the passenger side from the overflow boiling over.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok. this sounds way worse than i thought.. well would it be ok to keep driving the car? it only misses under a load and runs fine when i baby it? ik i have to do all this stuff but the way it sound i might well pick up a new engine and id need a daily driver until then...

thank you all again for being honest with me

Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya you can still drive it but you might want to get a new engine then do the transplant in one day. Best thing is to get a compression tester. That alone can tell you if your heads are bad or not. They aren't to pricy at all. If you have good compresion then it's something in the fuel or ignition side of things. Could just be a cooked spark plug.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
Ya you can still drive it but you might want to get a new engine then do the transplant in one day. Best thing is to get a compression tester. That alone can tell you if your heads are bad or not. They aren't to pricy at all. If you have good compresion then it's something in the fuel or ignition side of things. Could just be a cooked spark plug.
oh alright i didnt know that i got one in the garage. and i just replaced all the plugs.

Quick Reply: missing when hot