93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Misfire Problem, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Default Misfire Problem, Help?

Ok hears whats going on. I've recently bought a 1999 Camaro 3.8L, i've been happy with the car thus far untill a few days ago when I got a misfire. 3/6 cylinders were misfiring so I thought i'd just go ahead and do plugs and wires the only plugs/wires i didn't do were on cylinders 4 and 6. after that i still had the problem, so i decided to try coil packs i replaced all 3 and now have the misfire in cylinders 4 and 6 the only ones i didn't replace plugs and wires 2. My question is what else could cause these misfires if plugs and wires don't solve my problem?

If more details are needed just ask me, the problems gonna drive me crazy. lol

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by Rmlink; 04-07-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
VIP member

why dont you go replace the spark plugs and wires first on 4 and 6 and then see if it is still giving you problems.

misfire generally happen for the reasons you stated.

on the more serious note, you can have a misfire for loss of compression. Meaning blown head gasket. usually seen when two adjacent cylinders are misfiring. yea lets hope it doesn't get to that

Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

could also be your control modual. I say this cause I just had mine crap the bed.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Well luckily for him 4 and 6 are not adjacent in any way eh? Plugs and wires on those 2 you DIDN'T replace would be the best course of action... Because that is likely the problem.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
VIP member

Originally Posted by evilkal
Well luckily for him 4 and 6 are not adjacent in any way eh?
no i know that, i was just telling him when to worry

Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM

The control module I don't believe would be it. I just replaced mine, because it went out and my car wouldn't even start when it was bad or it would crank for a few seconds then die.

I would say 85% chance it is your plug wires. I have had my camaro for 1 year now and have replaced the plug wires twice now and have a extra set incase they decide to go bad again. Even in the v6s they like to get too close to the engine block unless you pin them up really well.

If you have any more problems let me know, because I have a mechanic program that classifies everything down and tells you what you should start with checking this and that until you get down to the root of the problem. I could send you printouts through email.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Overdrive Member

I would change the all the plugs at the same time and all the wires at the same time -- then you've baselined that part, assume there's no short afterwards and you routed correctly -- don't forget dielectric grease on both ends of the wires...

Originally Posted by Rmlink
Ok hears whats going on. I've recently bought a 1999 Camaro 3.8L, i've been happy with the car thus far untill a few days ago when I got a misfire. 3/6 cylinders were misfiring so I thought i'd just go ahead and do plugs and wires the only plugs/wires i didn't do were on cylinders 4 and 6. after that i still had the problem, so i decided to try coil packs i replaced all 3 and now have the misfire in cylinders 4 and 6 the only ones i didn't replace plugs and wires 2. My question is what else could cause these misfires if plugs and wires don't solve my problem?

If more details are needed just ask me, the problems gonna drive me crazy. lol

Thanks
Ryan

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM

OOOk, heres the update. I did change the plugs and wires. Neither of them were bad, so i checked the ignition control module and bought a new one and its running beautiful. ^_^

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
VIP member

glad to see you fixed it

Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

i will take that as a thank you.

Quick Reply: Misfire Problem, Help?