93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Misfire at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Misfire at high rpms

99 v6 camaro 5 speed transmission, It happens when I am in 1st or second gear havnt done it in other gears because I would be going to fast for speed limit. But When I take off and have the gas pedal on the floor, when the rpms get around 3200 and beyond it will sometimes but not always. But its so often I expect it, to stumble, hesitate or just feel like the engine dies for a second. It will feel like the car slows down for that second then it takes a second to start accelerating again and this is wot. I replaced the fuel pump because I thought that was the cause and it did relieve most occurances but it still happens just not as often. The I noticed that my oil pressure gauge is lower than normal instead of being beside the middle point is it about 1/4 past the red before the middle. I checked the oil and its full and it was just changed awhile back, I used lucas oil and a rear main seal oil repair thing. Cause I have a rear main seal oil leak. But in addtion to all of that I also noticed valve tapping at idle. Its a clicking noise that gets more frequent with rpm. But is heard best at idle or close to idle. Car drives fine other than that. Also replaced the spark plugs and wires this summer along with two coil packs. Anybody have any ideas? Im thinking maybe that last coil pack is getting weak or the transmission is doing this because I had a worse problem like this a month ago where in first gear or second it would buck for a second and I could hear the wheels screech like the tranny locked up. But after changing the very black trans fluid it stopped. Not really sure if all of these things are connected but Im not really sure whats causing it either. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by JeepGuy12; 04-30-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

This happened to me a few months ago. It turned out to be my maf sensor. Try cleaning it with a maf cleaner. as for the rear main leak get it fixed. You're starving your engine of oil with it leaking. That's what's causing the valve ticking. Oil pressure can change depending on the oil filter you use.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Could be the FPR.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Does FPR stand for fuel pump relay? The maf sensor ounds like it could be the culprit it throws codes every other week. But it always goes away so I dont bother with it. Ill try cleaning it, thanks for that and Ill attempt to test the relay if thats what FPR stands for. Thanks for the help I plan on fixing the rear main when I pull my trans to rebuild it. But for now the stop leak thing has stoped the leak for once.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

Fuel pressure regulator =FPR

Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Don't write out that last coil or either of the two you already replaced, they are flaky to begin with and you may have gotten a bad one. My car did something similar when I bought it, you could drive around all day if you kept it below 2300 rpms, any higher and it would buck like you wouldn't believe.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JeepGuy12
Does FPR stand for fuel pump relay?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It was the maf sensor, cleaned it and no more problems. Thanks for all the responses. I never figured that would cause problems like that.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah the MAF can cause your car to run like a golf cart haha.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Yeah the MAF can cause your car to run like a golf cart haha.
Have you had one go or get dirty? They make it ride like a bucking bull!!

Quick Reply: Misfire at high rpms