93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Misfire Detected!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Default Misfire Detected!

Hi all, I have a 2000 3.8 with 179,000 miles.

My car started out it died at a stop light, but started right up than ran fine for about 30 miles, than it died at a stop sign, but again started right up and ran for about 10 miles. Than suddenly it wouldnt go faster after hitting the gas pedal, its like theres no power. Than the servcie engine soon light started flashing, which i found to be random misfire detected. So i pulled over and shut it off, than it wouldnt start, its starts but dies a few seconds later. So my brother hit on the fuel filter a little and it started and stayed running so I drove a for probably 5 miles and it ran good. Than the same thing happened and this time it wouldnt stay running so I had to have it towed to my dads. The next day it started up and ran fine after driving it around block a few times but i parked it and shut it off, than I was going to try to get it to my house about 10 miles away and it would start but automatically die. So I change the fuel filter but no change. The next day when I started it you could tell it was a misfire and the light came on and blinked and this time I couldnt drive it 25 yards and it would die. So i had it towed to my house. I checked all sparks plugs on the right side and all were black and smelled of fresh gas. Me and my bro decided on the Mass Air Flow Senson, and I unplugged it and started it and it ran fine. Than plugged it back in and did the test in the Haynes manual by hitting the sensor with a screwdriver and everytime it bogged down it even died one time. I decided not to replace it since it $172 and trying to sell it. So I cleaned it and replaced it. It started up and ran fine, this time i drove it around 50 yards and it died and would not stay running after trying to start, it would die automatically.

Any other ideas on what this could be? Thanks for your help!
Any Ideas

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Droid

Apparently there is something wrong with the part you were beating up on.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Gee the MAF is acting all funky but you dont want to buy a MAF but you want to know what esle is wrong?

YOUR LOGIC

Buy a MAF

Massey

Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks to both of you! I'm not positive thats what it is because I did the test a few times after that and nothing happened and also I did a test today and nothing. I just wanted to get some insight on other members experiences cause I also read that it could be the EGR valve. I'm getting a scanner hooked up tonight so hopefully that will pinpoint in more detail. Thank you for the replys.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yep replace that maf.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Overdrive Member

EGR will cause idling and low RPM issues but if you get up to cruising speed which is when the EGR opens up then you should be able to drive just fine. The MAF comes into play the instant the car turns on and stays in play until you shut it all off. MAF and MAP work together to meter the air going into the engine. The upstream O2 sensors monitor the exhaust o2 content and add further adjustments to the computer's fuel maps. The O2 sensors on the other hand only work in closed loop mode, which means that they do not provide feedback until the engine is warmed up. Hope this helps you understand the fuel/air metering systems of your engine a little better.

Massey

Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM

Ok..Thank you! Had the scanner hooked up tonight and no codes were found!