93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

low oil+pressure after tune up and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Question low oil+pressure after tune up and oil change

RE my 96 Camaro RS, (auto,85,000 miles., v-6 . 3.8 engine)SES light went on .Mechanic replaced egr valve. 2 days later SES light on again, steady, then flashing.So, last week mechanic did tune up, replaced ignition coil and changed oil. Now oil pressure reads lower then usual and low oil light came on. Oil down one qt. per dip stick.I added one qt SAE 5W-30 oil. Seems ok but still, oil pressure reading lower than usual almost to zero when idling. Neither SES or Oil light on now.No sign of any oil leak.I left message for mechanic. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by connie; 02-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The old oil was probably a thicker viscosity than the 5w30 that was just put in. What did you have in the engine before?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
4th Gear Member

^^^ what he said! I believe they are suppose to run 10W30.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^x3 also what oil filter. i think its the black top fram that can cause a loss in pressure.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
^^^x3 also what oil filter. i think its the black top fram that can cause a loss in pressure.
I had an extra guard or whatever they arw called, and in a week it dropped like 20psi..put a cheapo filter on it and its been normal, so yea the black tops seem to have issues.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM

thanx for the info. I don't know which type of oil filter they put on initially.Brought it back to mechanic after no pressure and 5 qts oil ,and he put a new switch on it, apparently that was causing a leak. They also put on a new oil filter.He pretty much acknowledged they should have noted this when they did the $500 tune up and oil change, ( had they test drove after repair, like they said they did, they would have noted the low oil pressure) Funny after buying tires for both my cars from this place, I have spent around $2000 in totally unexpected repairs. Almost immediately after they touched the cars, it has been a succession of problems. Well, at least they did this last repair at no charge and I will never do business with them again.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by connie
thanx for the info. I don't know which type of oil filter they put on initially.Brought it back to mechanic after no pressure and 5 qts oil ,and he put a new switch on it, apparently that was causing a leak. They also put on a new oil filter.He pretty much acknowledged they should have noted this when they did the $500 tune up and oil change, ( had they test drove after repair, like they said they did, they would have noted the low oil pressure) Funny after buying tires for both my cars from this place, I have spent around $2000 in totally unexpected repairs. Almost immediately after they touched the cars, it has been a succession of problems. Well, at least they did this last repair at no charge and I will never do business with them again.
Please tell me that the place is not a national chain repair store.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

good thing it was free considering its a 15 $ part

Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Default Goodyear

Originally Posted by osduck5
Please tell me that the place is not a national chain repair store.
Goodyear. they claimed the part would have cost around $182.00

Old 02-14-2010, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i went to a midas after buying my car to get a good look over. i was told the mainfold was blown. the mechanic showed me the coolant build up. i thought it was a little funnie that there was a fresh jug of coolant near the work station. after doing a pressure test .. ty CPLThomas i found no issues. they quoted me over 3k in repairs. turns out the car is fine. a couple o2 sensors and a new egr valve and she runs great. lesson learned dont ever go to midas.

Quick Reply: low oil+pressure after tune up and oil change