93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

a little help with mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default a little help with mods

hey im a new member 17 year old that just bought a 95 camaro 3.4 L sfi automatic. right now its bone stock, and im gettin blown away (out of the hole)by everything even a little ricer honda civic 4 banger but i do get him in the end. I know when i ask for mods and stuff to do to it everyone is going to say "sell it and buy a v8" well i dont really have the money for that. i dont have a rich family. but i was wondering if

new plugs
wires
pretty much a whole tune up
cold air intake
exhaust (Headers and cat back) like in the sticky
race chip (i have heard they dont really do anything for the v6's)
160 themostat
and i was also wondering what the best tune up would be for it. i know in the sticky it recommends a PCW tune up but i was just wondernig if anyone has any opinions on that.

i was also wondering if there was anything i could do to the car mechanics wise to get a noticably increase out of it. im not looking for top end speed fast maybe 0-100 in a decent time make the car run around 13-14 on a 1/4 mile. but if u guys could give me some price estimates that would be cool also. and i look forward to being a regular member here. also how do i get a pic of my car up

Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: a little help with mods

Hmm im not too sure about the 3.4's i know you can go all out and get an expensive CAI range from 100-300$. Or ebay has them anywheres from 25-50$ but if yoiu go this route which is harder because your only 17 make sure it is a full assembly kit cause some are and some arent.

If you had a 3.8 i could help you out a little more but i cant. It wont take but a day for people to respond. Ive noticed alot more 3.4's than 3.8's on here.

If there is anything i can help you with lemme know.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Dont get a CAI there are much better things that you could get for $300. Cam, rockers, headers all are around 300 and will give you much more then 7Hp. i dont think those things are worth the trouble and money for that lil hp.

i am 17 i have a 3.8 and a 160 thermostat and 1.85 comp cam rockers gave me some great results.

thermostat = $10-15
Rockers = $275-300

Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Lol if you added a cold air to all your **** you would see a huge result after all your other mods. I start with that cuz its cheap and you can get them about anywhere. I never said to go out and get a 300$ CAI. i said thats on route. Once again CAI's let your engine breathe better than a stock air filter. The better your engine can breathe the better performance you will notice. The regualr air filter has many restricitons like a reonator and the box its held in. Think of it this way.
A cold air intake works like this. Imagine a plastic bag over your head and your trying to breathe. Its hard right. Now here is where the cold air comes in. Cut a hole in the bag and put your mouth around it and breathe. Much better right (not meant to seriously be done). those are the differences from a stock AI and a CAI.

Once you startadding other mods to your car your car will be working harder and harder. With a stock air filter its gonna work twice as hard as if you had a CAI. It will also improve the response time.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i have herad alot of good things aout the CAI so im pretty sure im going to get one not that i dont appreciate your opinion but im going to get all internal engine parts at once so i dont have to tear down about 5 times. what is a part that will show a pretty big improvement in acceleration? are all ebay cia **** or do you think they would be worth the $50 that there asking for? this morning i figured out why the civic was killing me. my car wouldnt shift cause i was at to high of rpm's 5200 and the car wont shift if it is higher then 56% throttle. so this morning we met up and went at it i took him out. and now he thinks i have done something to the car. he also revealed that he has a 6000 dollar engine compared to my 3000 dollar car.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd like to here some ideas for a 3.8L maro

Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Better air in and air out of your engine is probably the best place to start.
Get a high-flow CAT and muffler (you can get a Flo-Pro for about $90 installed), a CAI like the one from SLP (which was an option back then) or K&N, do periodic Lucas Fuel Treatment to clean your injectors, etc., get yourself a Chiltons or Haynes manual which also has tune-up/maintenance advice... Lowering your thermostat sure won't help if you need heat in the winter on the 3.4l!

Remember, if you make some pipes wider near the tailpipe it won't do much without opening them up all the way to the engine... The weakest link restricts your system...

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21012

"Cold-Air Induction Package, 1993 V8/1993-95 3.4 V6 Camaro/Firebird
SLP pioneered the underhood cold air package for the Camaro and Firebird. They replace the restrictive, power robbing factory air cleaner assembly. By picking up cool, dense outside air and pumping it directly into the engine these systems are proven to make up to 20 additional horsepower, depending on application. The system is crafted from powder coated 304 stainless steel. The high-gloss, black finish looks great under the hood. Included are two high flow style cone air filters and a custom "block off plate" to isolate the filters from hot underhood air. The smooth flowing, mandrel bent 2.5" diameter intake air tubes are welded into a 3 3/4" diameter collector for a solid, custom fitted assembly. Each kit contains all necessary parts and complete installation instructions. These kits are street legal in all 50 states."

Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ok here what ive done, first i have a 3.4 94 auto, it has a CAI, a computer mod for my ECU, dual exhaust from a Z28, i have the cat gutted out causes well to be honest i did have the money to but another (besides i did the same from my 86 thunderbird and that help alot), a small minor change from the back where the back is put down changed it for a softer matrial plus to remove weight one of the things am doing now.....till my next project. overall big improvement from when i got it naturally these 3.4 come stock 160HP but with little mods you can maybe get it to 190 to 200. mines make it a least 200HP, weight is what am really working on, o yeah i do have aluimum covers (not much) good high proformance spark plugs and wires. good luck friend.........

Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
4th Gear Member

the cheapest way would be to buy an early 4th gen LT1 Camaro...you can get them for cheap

You wont get into 14's w/o alot of money and work....

Full bolt ons and nitrous and you might hit low to mid 15's

Old 05-11-2007, 11:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well, the v6 camaro i bough was only for 3000 dollars and that was a kind of expensive price for me now as a 17 year old paying insurance gas and every other bill. so im just looking for some stuff that would make me quick off the line you know 0-60 0-100 somewhere around there. i want to be able to run 15's. is 15 a reasonable expectation out of a v6 i mean after all its still a camaro and there v6's are built stronger and more powerful then some v8's out there. im looking to spend around 2000 dollars. thanks for all the opinions

Quick Reply: a little help with mods