93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Limited slip differential -> Posi rear end.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Limited slip differential -> Posi rear end.

How do I do this by myself. What do I need?

*Only one of my wheels spin when I start losing traction. From my knowledge that is what a limited slip is correct? I want to have both spin.

Last edited by Envisi0n91; 09-08-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

you can order a kit .... and now i cant think of name i was just talking to a mechanic buddy of mine about the same thing....

i will get the name of kit for you... he said it was about 600 bucks for the kit he did install himself

Old 09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

alright, thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Getting the kit is the easy part. Installing a new rear is not for beginner. Even among professional mechanic many have no clue was involved with getting a rear in right. You can get a manual and go thru step by step but you really should whatch someone that knows how to do it right at least one time before doing it. A rear that is setup right can last 100K worth of pounding. One that is not setup can turn your rear axle into a boat anchor in 5K.

The cheapest easiest way to get a posi rear is to just buy the whole rear axle from a junk yard or off craigs list. Since you do not know much about them you should look to junk yard cause they will give you a 30 day warranty. Installing a whole axle is a one day job.

A true posi will allow tires to spin seprately but only by force. This can cause a jumping under hard slow turns. In a straight line you get two perfect black marks. Limited Slip allows one wheel to turn at a faster rate then the other but only so far. This gives the car more street manors but still keeps you going in the snow. In a straight line you will get one tire spinning for a short distance then the second will grab. Your car has neither limited slip or posi. Which ever tire is the easiest to turn will turn.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I see.. so I have an open rear end? How lame..

Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

i heard a rumor saying we could pull a rear end off the z28 and put it on our v6 would this change the rear to disk brakes with a different gearing.... with a new tune this would be doable correct??? haha tunes on my new ecu are only $40

Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes u can get a z28 rear end and put it in your car, maybe it will have lower gears maybe not. if thats the deal u make with the wrecking yard, yes, it should have disk brakes and they should work. u would want to at least put new pads on em.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

haha i would put new brakes and rotors i was told it would be geared for a higher top end

Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Gorn, pretty much covered a lot of bases. I for one can tell you I've done my share of ring to pinion foot planting. Just to show you the art involved is more a skilled hand that has done a lot of rear ends. That is the person to seek.

A good rear end man can nail the backlash without the dial indicator, if we take this to an art form. But you have the X to Y factor to master first. You have to move that pinion on a shim install, then a crush to torque. That final crush must line the pinion up to the ring's center. Call that the X marks the spot. You run that blue dye show the foot is way out to the end of the ring?; take your wet finger, run it over the edge of a wine glass. You hear that high pitch? That means the ring is singing it's way off on lift or accel. Tells things are loose, sang too soon on the rebuild, or is loose on lift; that pinion bearing moves up the wine glass sings along with you.

Next, is the ring or the Y factor. That has to be loaded for growth of the axle. So, you have to tap a shim with a measured pre-load, or that ring moves away too far from the pinion. That gives you your backlash reading of X to Y, which makes Z pumpkin quiet as a mouse.

--------------------------------------------------------

The limited slip has two clutch packs. One for each axle shaft. There is a centrifugal mechanism that immediately locks the axle as easy as spinning the one wheel by hand. So, you back out of the driveway or turn a corner, that one inner wheel will travel less than that outer wheel around a corner.

What you hear now, unless you forget to use the clutch additive along with the 80w90 gear oil, you hear this; chatter like squeak or the clutches unloading slightly; for the other axle would bind or hop, as if you welded the rear end solid.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ well said. where u been.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited slip differential -> Posi rear end.