93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Lifted engine and lowered K Member.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Lifted engine and lowered K Member.

Today I lifted the motor out a little and lowered the K Member just a little to get the oil pan out. God dang what a pain in the ***. I guess it wasn't that bad. It helps to have a friend on standby to help a little.

1. Took out motor mount bolt/pins
2. Lifted motor up about 3 inches ( I used the bracket from the back part of the valve cover on the passenger side *Already had it off* and flipped it around to the front area and used some big nuts to size it in better *you can see it in the picture kind of)
3. Loosened bolts to K-member and put the long bolt in the short bolt hole. (For safety) I also put a floor jack under the K-Member for extra safety and in case I need to lift it back up.
4. Maneuvered oil pan out no problem. (Although I did take off the oil pickup spout)

SO NOW, I am finally done tearing crap apart. It's been a long journey but I know this motor pretty well now!! Hopefully it will be a bad *** machine. Here are some pics.

Name:  CskC7Cy.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  750.9 KB
Name:  JtRsU5j.jpg
Size:  661.6 KB
Name:  VjGrMme.jpg
Size:  756.2 KB

Last edited by ded2me; 03-31-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok you got my curiosity up. why are you taking the pan off?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Spring cleaning?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear member

leak maybe? you wont to come change mine...

Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Massive Leak on oil pan.

Replacing the gasket. Any tips I should know about? I was gonna cake some RTV around the gasket as well. I have the black stuff. Starting to think the ream main seal is also leaking. if that's the case I will do that one later on.

Just thought I would show my progress. I spent weeks coming to this forum and others looking up on HOW to do this. Lifting the engine and lowering a Kmember. I guess a thanks is in order for the community. Don't know what I would have done without you.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Man that looks like more work then pulling the motor? If you have to pull the transmission for the rear main it will not even be connected to the car.

Use the gaskets as designed. DO NOT add RTV unless instructed to do so by the gasket instruction. Buy a good gasket kit and follow the insturctions to the letter. I lost count on how many cars I have had brough in that leaks after a repair just to find crap stuck everywhere. I fixed them by doing the gaskets as designed.

The only tip and can give you is make sure your pans are level, If someone tried to "fix" the leak by tighening the pan they may have cause it to bow in at the bolt. Use a hammer and lightly tap the pans striaght. Also clean everything, the surfaces can not be too clean. It should be metal only no oil or staining.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-02-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

don't want to use a bunch of gasket sealer on the new pan gasket. there are 4 spots that need it, the corners where the pan, block and front cover and rear seal meet. i hope that makes sense