93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

intakes

Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default intakes

So I'm looking at having an intake ported for my 97 camaro. but does anyone know if the 95-98 upper intake flow the best or do the 99-02 upper intakes flow better? it does look like my cable throttle body will bolt up to the 99-02 style intakes. If I do get the 99-02 intake I want to get the SLP/K&N CAI for it.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

95-98 same casting, 99-02 is DBW? so I don't think that is going to work. I think guys are converting the FWD intakes. Either way unless you are pushing 350 hp or running 8000 RPMs your intake is not what is holding you back.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wouldn't bother with the intake. Spend the money on suspension.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
95-98 same casting, 99-02 is DBW? so I don't think that is going to work. I think guys are converting the FWD intakes. Either way unless you are pushing 350 hp or running 8000 RPMs your intake is not what is holding you back.
yes I know the 99-02 intakes are dbw. which is why I said it looks like my cable throttle body will bolt to the 99-02 intakes.

what I'm asking is that since the 95-98 bend down to the driver side of the car and the 99-02 is pointed straight ahead. is that going to boost any ponies out of the engine without the bend since its flowing straight in? well anymore ponies with the porting over porting the intakes that bend over to the side anyways?

and Socom my issues aren't with the suspension its with a lack of low end torque with the 315/35/zr17 back tires causing the car to lug under 2k rpm.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you thought about going with 342 or 373 gears

Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Guys have been building these Sii 3800 for a long time and I can not remember anyone doing this conversion. Hi flow does not equal low end torque, in most cases "Hi-flow" intake tend to hurt the bottom end and help at the higher RPM.

I assume that if you are going as far as porting the intake you have already delt with the stock exhaust manifold, They are the only thing really holding back to stock motor. Porting the intake is only needed after you increase the air that can get by the Valves (cam or rockets). We have very limited CAMs for the 3800 and I think all the after market ones will hurt low end torque and increase max HP output. Sounds like you need a 3:42 rear out of a V8 stick car or some 3:73 as Craby mentioned.

I think with the SIII GM tried to increase low end torque with slightly larger valves.

Without a custom ground cam I think the most you can do to increase low end toque is, increase compression, Shorty headers (or the stock 99 up manifolds) a set of SIII heads and a Cold air intake with a less restrictive filter .

Last edited by Gorn; 02-26-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

actually no it still has the stock exhaust but I'll be taking care of that after I'm finished moving. I'm just considering the porting on the intake because its off for repairs. but if its just going to hurt my low end torque I'll go ahead and just save my money for a new diff.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I did not port mine for that reason but you can clean up casting defects and gasket match the head to intake to make sure no edges are causing turbulence.

On your 97 headers will be noticeable. Don’t buy into the HP gain of the long tube. Yes the numbers are higher than the mid length but there designed for High RPMs. You butt dyno will like the mid length or shorties better. You don’t have to take my word for, call the manufactures tell them what you are looking for and see what they recommend. (assuming the manufacture makes both long and short)

Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
On your 97 headers will be noticeable. Don’t buy into the HP gain of the long tube. Yes the numbers are higher than the mid length but there designed for High RPMs. You butt dyno will like the mid length or shorties better. You don’t have to take my word for, call the manufactures tell them what you are looking for and see what they recommend. (assuming the manufacture makes both long and short)
long tube headers are for torque not hp. shorties are for the hp. and unless I can find someone who has the long tube headers or have them made I'm stuck with just the shorties.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks for straightening me out on the headers.

Maybe you could go in to more detail about how the velocity of the gases actual draws the gas out of other cylinders, which is why collector design is so important, and how the gases reach their highest velocity at the highest RPM. Also as the RPM raise the point of highest velocity gets farther away from the motor. But if that was true then Higher RPMs would respond better to long tubes and lower RPMs would respond better to short tubes. A perfect header would change length with RPMs. It would start off short and the get longer as the RPMs rise. Next we talk could about the different between tuned headers and not tuned headers.

Do you even understand HP and torque? You can not add torque without adding HP. You can add HP with out adding torque. You do that with RPMs. Since long tube headers work best at High RPMs they add to the Max HP on a dyno. Since the mid length headers work best right around the area of Max Torque they will increase your Max torque on a dyno. There is a reason few companies make long tube headers for V6s, that is because unless you are one of the .01% of the people that build race V6's that stay at or over 5000 RPM most of the time the mid tubes are better, and the header companies know it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intakes