93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Inexperienced person asking silly questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Default Inexperienced person asking silly questions

Hello Everyone. I will soon become a proud owner of my first 1995 3.4L V6 160hp Camaro.

I am however just a driver with no mechanical skills, thus have decided to seek knowledge from the far more experienced ones - You :P

My questions might seem childish to your great skills & Knowledge, but please bear with me ^^

And so my first question shall be this: Engine.
I understand that the V6 uses a Timing Chain. I wish to know how long it is designed to Last. The car is driven 61k miles, but has been kept in good storage for nearly 7 years. Only been driven a few days per year on special occasions by a elderly chap who never abused it in any way, and started/moved around once in awhile in order to keep it from getting damaged from sitting still for too long. He also did some work from the inside out, replacing simple things like the water pump, spark plugs and other basic maintenance (Will get a list from him later concerning what has been done) From the sound,reaction and how it idles I hear nothing that would be considered bad, In fact the way it drives and sounds, it seems to be in top shape. Although this is my first Camaro, and the first car i own that has a timing Chain in it.

I would hate for the engine to suddenly get busted up due to my inexperience.

Excuse my wall of text :P

Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Generally, the timing chain set should last the life of the engine. Meaning, that by the time the chain breaks (if it ever does, which isn't very common) it would be time for a new engine anyway. I know people with high mileage engines, even one upward of 400k miles on an original engine, so there is no "set time" for a chain to go. By the way, a timing chain is not a maintenance item like a timing belt is. Plus, these aren't "interference" engines like a lot of timing belt engines are where when the belt goes, the valves whack the pistons (which is why a belt is a maintenance item). With only 61k miles, your engine is still a pup. Don't sweat the chain at all!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Oh great! Good to know One less thing to worry about then. Shall find more things to ask about in the near Future !

Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Never feel bad about asking questions man. Noobie questions or not, ask and don't feel bad for asking.

No one bust out of the womb knowing how to work on stuff with a wrench in their hand. We were all new to cars at one point in time.

An open mind and being willing to ask questions is what separates someone who simply owns a car, and a hobbyist and enthusiast who will tear into their own car and be part of it.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3.4 is a pretty good motor the only thing I would be woried about is the coolant, I would get a real good flushing. The Coolant GM put in the cars new sucks. You also my want to get a pressure test for the coolant system. Intake gaskets are pretty common failures in the 3.4 and time is more of a factor then miles.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 AM

Understood, shall add that to my things-to-do List! Just having a bit of a time getting my small loan through the bank. Payday can be such a busy day for banks >.>

Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I am now a proud Owner of a Camaro! *yay!* But i have run into my first problem (other then the engine oil being 7 years old and its the weekends) the "Service Engine Soon" light is on. I understand you are able to buy a scanner of sorts to diagnose the problem of your own?

The SES pops up after like 30 min of driving, although the first time it did was almost 6 hours after buying it. Drove around on it all day . Did not know of the old oil until the seller called me later. Car runs fine still but i dont like it when a service light pops up >.> unless its just telling me i got a really old , or dirty dirty Oil

Last edited by Victor V6; 07-02-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

You can just take it to Autozone and they'll scan it for free. Might wanna get ya some oil and a filter while you're there.

Last edited by adam86107; 07-02-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM

Sadly we dont have autozone on iceland, or at least i am not aware of one of the many i have seen. But a friend told me that there should be a few places that have dealt with camaros before and should have a scanner to check what it is.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Many codes will have no effect on how the car is running. The are reporting an emission system failures. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap.

Quick Reply: Inexperienced person asking silly questions