93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

im the new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear member

The coolant in mine never got really nasty, but I don't really want a coolant in my car that has a class action lawsuit filed against it.

Anyways, as for lowering, whatever you do, keep in mind there will be a better chance of scraping on bumps and grades. But if you don't mind that go for it. There's plenty of threads discussing lowering on here.

Last edited by vanquishfist; 09-16-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear member

I haven't been on the board in several weeks (been really busy), but congrats on the Camaro. I know it was mentioned by another member earlier, but you would be fine with the 275s up front. I run 275s all around and have no problems.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

So what is the status of this class action then?

I wouldn't worry much, this is from the 5th Gen Camaro Owner Manual:

"Notice: Using coolant other
than DEX-COOLŽ can cause premature engine, heater core,
or radiator corrosion. In addition, the engine coolant could require changing sooner, at 50 000 km (30,000 miles) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Any repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Always use DEX-COOLŽ (silicate-free) coolant in the vehicle."

SO there is NO movement away from Dex-Cool in Camaros...

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
The coolant in mine never got really nasty, but I don't really want a coolant in my car that has a class action lawsuit filed against it.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So what is the status of this class action then?

I wouldn't worry much, this is from the 5th Gen Camaro Owner Manual:

"Notice: Using coolant other
than DEX-COOLŽ can cause premature engine, heater core,
or radiator corrosion. In addition, the engine coolant could require changing sooner, at 50 000 km (30,000 miles) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Any repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Always use DEX-COOLŽ (silicate-free) coolant in the vehicle."

SO there is NO movement away from Dex-Cool in Camaros...
ok so basically i got the dex-cool stuff and a flush kit

come to find out upon further investigation that its not rust since we have aluminum blocks and radiators and it shouldn't even rust. so i know its some sort of stop leak which makes sense.... just kinda seems like the type of person to do that instead of fixing the problem.

so now i have this stuff gunked all in the radiator dont even want to know what the coolant passages in the block look like but it doesnt over heat so im not concerned.

second about the lowering thing.... i REALLY want to do this so what must i do

what is the "more popular" thing to do, im not worried about scraping since my other car sits about 3/4" off the ground...

i dont think coilovers are necessary but i would like there to be an adjustable feature for ride height i know koni makes an adjustable spring or something like that im just new to this car and want some input to what is good instead of buying something and later on replacing it you know.

did a little photoshoot in my neighbors driveway lol after the coolant flush

Last edited by 1slowv6; 09-19-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Overdrive Member

^ All 4th Gens have coilovers in the front. There are two common options, if you care about longevity, either go for the SLP lowering springs/Bilstein kit, or Strano lowering springs and Koni SAs. The Koni SA shocks are adjustable for damping, NOT ride height. If you want adjustable ride height, that is a whole different animal, and you would look into Ground Control or KW Variant 3 (big $)...

Phone Sam Strano, and ask all your questions, you will learn a lot:
http://stranoparts.com

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your good. I would not put Dex crap back in even if it was free.
Originally Posted by craby
agree with gorn, i use the green in everything i have. boats and cars.
Originally Posted by Massey
I thought everyone was trying to go green... I know I have in everything I own too and there is no problems. Red is dead remember that and it is true with Deathcool as well.

Massey
I'm not the only one that feels the same. It may be better now, but it sure developed a bad reputation. Everybody has an opinion.

Enough about that though, you have nice looking Camaro BTW. If you want a noticable drop, the Strano springs are probably your best bet.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
I'm not the only one that feels the same. It may be better now, but it sure developed a bad reputation. Everybody has an opinion.

Enough about that though, you have nice looking Camaro BTW. If you want a noticable drop, the Strano springs are probably your best bet.
thanks man its hard for me not to notice every little flaw though since its black but slowly it will take shape

i cant stand this stock stance it kills me so im gonna look up these strano springs

one of my teachers was telling me he used to work on these engines and had alot of cyl #1 misfire problems? is this a common thing for these cars he was telling me that the stock plug wires are very restrictive and should upgrade since its waste spark. which makes complete sense to me

also i want to do the intake mod but im not quite sure how to execute that is there somewhere i buy an adapter to bypass that 2nd airbox or is there a way guys do it that im not seeing lol