93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

im the new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Default im the new guy...

so i bought a camaro last night and ive been driving it all day

its a 2000 3.8

got it in the shop today and welded up 2 exhaust leaks and bought the donut gasket for the passenger side that should be the end of my exhaust leaking.
is this common?

the only other thing wrong with it is a bad transmission mount so how hard is that to replace, any of you done this? will i need a lift or can i do this in the driveway?

next thing is if some of you guys can ***** out pics of your modded camaros because i would liike to get some ideas and it helps to see other cars.

im getting a set of c6 zo6 wheels for it 17x9.5 with 275/40/17's pirelli tires and am concerned about fitment on the front (my dad has these in his shop) and i wanna know if that big tire up front will cause too much problems.

last question is about exhaust as well since i would like to run duals whats a popular way to do this that sounds good, i couldnt figure out a good way to run them when i was lookin under it today.

pictures pictures pictures

thanks guys

Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the trans mount is really easy

jack up the car and throw some stands under there
look towards the rear of the trans theres a cross member with 1 bolt in the middle unbolt it (15mm i believe)
take your jack and lift the trans (if its an auto put a piece of 2x4 between the jack and the pan)
unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the cross member up (again 15mm)
unbolt the old mount from the trans (18mm maybe)
bolt the new one on
bolt up the cross member
let the jack down
bolt the mount back to the cross member

its that easy should take 30 min to an hour

as for the exhaust duels are custom for the camaros (at least ive never seen a direct bolt in kit) you better off getting some nice headers and running a 2 3/4 - 3 inch cat back with a nice muffler like borla or corsa

Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 AM

welcome

Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
the trans mount is really easy

jack up the car and throw some stands under there
look towards the rear of the trans theres a cross member with 1 bolt in the middle unbolt it (15mm i believe)
take your jack and lift the trans (if its an auto put a piece of 2x4 between the jack and the pan)
unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the cross member up (again 15mm)
unbolt the old mount from the trans (18mm maybe)
bolt the new one on
bolt up the cross member
let the jack down
bolt the mount back to the cross member

its that easy should take 30 min to an hour

as for the exhaust duels are custom for the camaros (at least ive never seen a direct bolt in kit) you better off getting some nice headers and running a 2 3/4 - 3 inch cat back with a nice muffler like borla or corsa
thanks thats helpful it didnt look too hard but i didnt know if the trans would get in the way bla bla bla.

how about removing the baffles in the intake i saw that on a sticky but not sure how to do it ive always just put an intake on but apparently theres no real increase for our cars?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

take a pair of pliers and break the baffles off the intake lid... also when you run your exhaust run a high flow cat and mine is staight 3-1/4 cat to tip (no muffler), and mine is single pipe and splits of to make dual tips in the middle like the corvettes... it sounds good to me. MSD coils and wires and a good set of plugs is the best thing to do to let a few ponies out to start...

Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oh and BTW i have the same size ZR1's you on mine now and it rides fine... nitto 555R is a good tire to run on the back if you do any kind of racing, they dont slip. this is an old picture a few days after i painted the stripe on it so dont judge.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by texas_RS
oh and BTW i have the same size ZR1's you on mine now and it rides fine... nitto 555R is a good tire to run on the back if you do any kind of racing, they dont slip. this is an old picture a few days after i painted the stripe on it so dont judge.
my dad works at OE WHEELS, so im getting a set of C6 ZO6 wheels in gloss black with pirelli tires

on my mustang i have nexxen 3000's and they are the sh*t

i guess if were pic whoring heres my stang lol

i plan on doing similar mods on the camaro I.E. red inserts for the camaro letters, lowering, and headers with duals somehow lol

ive got the vin code Gu6 so im guessing its a non LSD with 3.42 gears. if that is the case i wanna add posi and 4.11 to that list

Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM

oh and a quick pic of the camaro

Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Your 3.8L won't be putting out enough power to warrant true duals -- I have Borla's Adjustable Catback & it sounds really great.

Buy an SLP CAI -- you will feel a nice boost in power at highway speeds...

Next start thinking SLP Bilstein shocks, if you have original orange de Carbon/Delphi shocks which are the weakest part of 4th Gen suspension. That alone will improve a lot about the way the car handles.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Your 3.8L won't be putting out enough power to warrant true duals -- I have Borla's Adjustable Catback & it sounds really great.

Buy an SLP CAI -- you will feel a nice boost in power at highway speeds...

Next start thinking SLP Bilstein shocks, if you have original orange de Carbon/Delphi shocks which are the weakest part of 4th Gen suspension. That alone will improve a lot about the way the car handles.
woow no way i saw the orange shocks and totally thought they were new lol looks lke ill be upgrading that first