93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

ice in lower intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CountTripula
ok got the lower intake off and its solid ice through the head now how do i change the lower intake gasket's and there are long rods that the gasket weave in and out of it and theres orange goo kinda looks like a a rubber epoxy on the back half looks weird if pics would help ill go take some
Do you have a repair manual? Just remove the rocker arms and the push rods. The rockers are not adjustable so it is not a big deal. You do need the torque specs and a torque wrench but you need that for the intake anyway.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ok now do i have to remove every spark plug or just the ones the ice is on and anyone know how to do these lower intake gaskets i dunno how to get them off or on

Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

yes i have a repair manual but they dont really explain everything that well thats why i just came on here

Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

until the water thaws i would not turn it over at all. if there is any good sized chunks in the cylinder its not going to be pretty.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was kind of assuming the it was water when it entered the motor. I would pull all the plugs. We can all guess at which ones need pulled but in the end you are risking total engine failure.

The gasket should just peel up. It may be "glued" or like glued in some places. It is very important you get the surface VERY clean. I use a scotch bright pad on a die grinder and make sure there is no trace of "glue" or paper.

Maybe you should head over to youtube and seach whatever you are trying to do. It can be very helpful. I had to replace my wifes side mirror on her impala. I found a video that list exactly where every bolt and clip is and what size they are. took me 20 minutes and only one trip to the tool box.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-04-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
Do you have a repair manual? Just remove the rocker arms and the push rods. The rockers are not adjustable so it is not a big deal. You do need the torque specs and a torque wrench but you need that for the intake anyway.
Does his 95 have the more common 3.4, or does he have a California 3.8 model? 3.4 rockers get valve lash adjusted just like a small block Chevy does. Pretty sure though, that the intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths, so keep em straight.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

yes its the 3.4L

well ill wait till the morning i got all the ice out of the head its supposed to be 60 so well while the heater was melting ice i decided to spray the hell out of the lower intake and took a wire brush to and cleaned it up looks kinda nice where i had nothin else to do.

I went to the auto store and just bought a whole gasket set and borrowed a torque wrench and gonna go to town tomorrow on the car. the rocker arms and push rods dont seem like its rocket science
(did some research on valve lashing) i guess ill be back on tomorrow if i need help.

Yall been some awesome help i thought i was going to totally screwed i just hope i got all the water out an no damage was done but ill never know untill everything is together and i start her up again.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks craby i was needing the tightening sequence as the repair manual didnt say much but on a 3800

Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you got it this far, should consider pulling heads and replacing the head gaskets. i know exhaust is a pita but if they are oiled up good and it looks like they will come off easy,,,, just a thought.

Quick Reply: ice in lower intake