Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 V6 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/)
-   -   ice in lower intake (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/ice-lower-intake-76440/)

CountTripula 03-04-2014 09:46 AM

ice in lower intake

Hey i was replacing the valve cover gaskets and got 1/2 way through it and had to stop due to weather yesterday and when i just went out there today i see ice filled to the brim on one of the lower intake ports. I need help or am i screwed?

craby 03-04-2014 10:47 AM

better change lower intake gaskets. take the intake inside and thaw it out. were did the water come from?

CountTripula 03-04-2014 11:28 AM

We had a snow and ice storm that didnt amount to anything

Gorn 03-04-2014 11:31 AM

Was the hood left open and it rained? Do not try to start the car!!! If you have water in your intake.

1. Clean as much of the ice/water out as you can, vauum cleaner?
2. Remove your spark plugs and turn the motor over by hand (or wrench) at least 2 full revolution maybe 3 for good luck.
3 Change your oil.

Water does NOT compress. if there is water in a cylinder it can and will break the piston or bend the connecting rod on the next compression stroke. .

CountTripula 03-04-2014 11:34 AM

ok im a noob how do i hand turn it and will it throw it out of time

v64thgen 03-04-2014 12:18 PM

ive seen a video of a hydrolocked car where they took out the spark plugs and turned the engine over and the water came shooting out the holes. i have no clue if that is a good thing to do or not, but this issue reminded me of that. DONT DO THAT unless one of the techs on here has given their opinion first.

Camaro 69 03-04-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by v64thgen (Post 687048)
ive seen a video of a hydrolocked car where they took out the spark plugs and turned the engine over and the water came shooting out the holes. i have no clue if that is a good thing to do or not, but this issue reminded me of that. DONT DO THAT unless one of the techs on here has given their opinion first.

Yes, that is how you "empty" the cylinders if there is water in them.

CountTripula 03-04-2014 12:30 PM

ok got the lower intake off and its solid ice through the head now how do i change the lower intake gasket's and there are long rods that the gasket weave in and out of it and theres orange goo kinda looks like a a rubber epoxy on the back half looks weird if pics would help ill go take some

CountTripula 03-04-2014 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14024

Gorn 03-04-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CountTripula (Post 687046)
ok im a noob how do i hand turn it and will it throw it out of time

With my 3800 I can just grab the pullies and turn it. You may need to put a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and turn it that way. So far you have not taken anything a part that is timed so you are good.

Gorn 03-04-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by CountTripula (Post 687050)
ok got the lower intake off and its solid ice through the head now how do i change the lower intake gasket's and there are long rods that the gasket weave in and out of it and theres orange goo kinda looks like a a rubber epoxy on the back half looks weird if pics would help ill go take some

Do you have a repair manual? Just remove the rocker arms and the push rods. The rockers are not adjustable so it is not a big deal. You do need the torque specs and a torque wrench but you need that for the intake anyway.

CountTripula 03-04-2014 02:48 PM

ok now do i have to remove every spark plug or just the ones the ice is on and anyone know how to do these lower intake gaskets i dunno how to get them off or on

CountTripula 03-04-2014 02:50 PM

yes i have a repair manual but they dont really explain everything that well thats why i just came on here

craby 03-04-2014 04:06 PM

until the water thaws i would not turn it over at all. if there is any good sized chunks in the cylinder its not going to be pretty.

Gorn 03-04-2014 04:48 PM

I was kind of assuming the it was water when it entered the motor. I would pull all the plugs. We can all guess at which ones need pulled but in the end you are risking total engine failure.

The gasket should just peel up. It may be "glued" or like glued in some places. It is very important you get the surface VERY clean. I use a scotch bright pad on a die grinder and make sure there is no trace of "glue" or paper.

Maybe you should head over to youtube and seach whatever you are trying to do. It can be very helpful. I had to replace my wifes side mirror on her impala. I found a video that list exactly where every bolt and clip is and what size they are. took me 20 minutes and only one trip to the tool box.

Camaro 69 03-04-2014 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 687053)
Do you have a repair manual? Just remove the rocker arms and the push rods. The rockers are not adjustable so it is not a big deal. You do need the torque specs and a torque wrench but you need that for the intake anyway.

Does his 95 have the more common 3.4, or does he have a California 3.8 model? 3.4 rockers get valve lash adjusted just like a small block Chevy does. Pretty sure though, that the intake and exhaust push rods are different lengths, so keep em straight.

CountTripula 03-04-2014 05:28 PM

yes its the 3.4L

well ill wait till the morning i got all the ice out of the head its supposed to be 60 so well while the heater was melting ice i decided to spray the hell out of the lower intake and took a wire brush to and cleaned it up looks kinda nice where i had nothin else to do.

I went to the auto store and just bought a whole gasket set and borrowed a torque wrench and gonna go to town tomorrow on the car. the rocker arms and push rods dont seem like its rocket science
(did some research on valve lashing) i guess ill be back on tomorrow if i need help.

Yall been some awesome help i thought i was going to totally screwed i just hope i got all the water out an no damage was done but ill never know untill everything is together and i start her up again.

craby 03-04-2014 10:19 PM

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...99/#post665301

CountTripula 03-04-2014 10:38 PM

thanks craby i was needing the tightening sequence as the repair manual didnt say much but on a 3800

craby 03-04-2014 10:42 PM

you got it this far, should consider pulling heads and replacing the head gaskets. i know exhaust is a pita but if they are oiled up good and it looks like they will come off easy,,,, just a thought.

Gorn 03-05-2014 06:28 AM

My bad, I was thinking it was a 99, but that was a different thread.

CountTripula 03-05-2014 04:19 PM

No clue what is going on now. Got it all back together it doesn't sound right sounds kinda knocky.. Press the gas a little sounds even worse. It's smoking out of the tail pipes pretty bad. Watch the video and tell me what you think.

frumpy 03-05-2014 04:26 PM

can't watch it says ''this video is private''???

CountTripula 03-05-2014 04:33 PM

fixed the video should be able to see it now. sorry

Camaro 69 03-05-2014 06:30 PM

Your valve lash isn't set right, you have some loose rockers making that clacking noise. Don't know about the steam out of the tail pipe since I can't see it, whether that's normal from burning off moisture in the exhaust or what?

CountTripula 03-05-2014 06:47 PM

i dunno but its spewing antifreeze right where the thermostat is

Gorn 03-06-2014 09:15 AM

Well there is no way we can tell you what is leaking. But a common mistake is people tend to over tighten thermostat housing and crack them. If you did not get intake and thermostat housing clean the gasket could be leaking. If the hose is older all the moving around may have cracked it. I have even see clamp on a slight angle bind a little and cause a leak, simply loosening the clamp make sure it sitting flat and tightening again fix’s it.

CountTripula 03-07-2014 08:30 PM

We went ahead and just put the car in a shop to assure everything runs good. Still waiting on them to call us.