93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

i think something is wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Default i think something is wrong with my car

The car has been sitting in our yard for about 2 years, i fixed up last month and have been driving it since. It has 73,000 miles so the engine is practically new. ITs a 2002 v6 automatic.

And my problem has to do with the acceleration, up until recently i've noticed that when i try to push the pedal to gain a burst of speed the car starts shaking and the speed of the car goes up but there is no burst, its sort of a slow increase of speed with a good amount of shaking throughout the whole car, i'm trying to sell the car asap and i think i may have an offer but i do not want to sell it with that problem if it is a major issue. thank you in advance

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No where near enough info. 8 years old and 73k Practicly new? What do you mean you "Fixed it up" what needed fixed up? Sitting for extended time can cause a lot of problems to the fuel, fuel pump, regulator and injectors. Are you sure you do not have any tenents in the air cleaners? Anti freeze sitting for two years can be real bad for the motor with a aluiminum intake. Especially if it need changed even before it was parked. Sparkplug wires could have dry rotted. The list is pretty long. It could be the fuel system was not working right and now your cat is pluged. Check engine light? Rust in the EGR valve not letting it seat. Did you check the tranny fluid? Failing coil due to the resistance of the wires. I am all over the place because with the above info it could be a great many things.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-18-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Sounds to me like your torque converter is going out on the car.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

listen to gorn, know his stuff. need more info. when was the last time the plugs, fuel filter, plug wires, air filter were changed. have the injectors been changed or cleaned? what have u done to this point?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM

the back end was damaged, in the right quarter panel area including the bumper. no frame damage. checked transmission oil, its fine, did its basic tune-up oil, air filter, spark plugs, wires did not need change, check engine line turns off and on... Umm all i;ve done to fuel system is put in those fuel system and fuel injector cleaners. and i don't know what the torque converter looks like so i haven't checked it.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change the fuel filter for a start. dump the contents of the filter in a glass jar so u can see if theres water.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM

i had a problem sorta like this it turned out to be a bad cul pack to test it just pick the end of the plug wire off the cul pac while its running one by one and you should get fire if there all workin

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear member

the Torque Converter is inside ur bellhousing of ur tranny, i doubt you'll check it, and it doesnt sound like that kind of problem anyway, i would agree with the fuel filter bc it has been sitting for 2 years, any dry-rot on the fuel or vacuum lines? does it smell like it is burning rich at all?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 PM

i took the fuel filter off and the gasoline coming out of it was black. So i suppose this would cause a problem to the engine. So, my other question is, would just replacing the fuel filter would take care of the problem? or is it the whole fuel system? And what steps should i take when replacing the filter? or is it just replacing the old one with the new one?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have alot of trash in your tank. That should be cleaned out before you put in the new fuel filter or it will just clog it up. Even after cleaning the tank and replacing the filter, you might have to replace it again after burning through a few tanks of gas.

Quick Reply: i think something is wrong with my car