93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

HP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: HP?

3.8 w/ 5spd does what mid high 15. musicman has all these bolt ons and gears, he pulled off a 14.9, IMO to spend that much money for a half second or so, and still slower than a stock v8 camaro, isnt worth it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: importmd

3.8 w/ 5spd does what mid high 15. musicman has all these bolt ons and gears, he pulled off a 14.9, IMO to spend that much money for a half second or so, and still slower than a stock v8 camaro, isnt worth it.
Not mid, my fastest was 15.99 stock. All I've got is headers, exhaust, and gears for the 14.987. Not even posi, the diff I got from the wrecking yard had bad clutches in it from the getgo. I'd say 14.987 isn't bad for a 1 tire frier. I cut a whole second off with very basic mods.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Overdrive Member

A little more clarity gotta love Wikipedia! ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepo...ake_horsepower
Brake horsepower Brake horsepower (abbreviated bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as alternator, power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. "Brake" refers to how horsepower was originally measured and calculated, by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft. More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. The output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft. British horsepower The acronym bhp may also be used for British horsepower, which has the same definition as the American SAE gross brake horsepower: 33,000 lb·ft/minute. More information on American SAE horsepower measurements is below.
Effective (true, wheel) hp Effective horsepower (ehp), True horsepower (thp) or wheel horsepower (whp) is the power converted to useful work. In the case of a road vehicle this is the power actually turned into forward motion as measured on a chassis dynamometer. Thp is generally 10% to 20% less than the engine's bhp rating due to drivetrain losses.[dubious – discuss][citation needed] For railway locomotives the terms Drawbar Horsepower or Equivalent Drawbar Horsepower (EDHP) refer to the power available to haul a train. This is synonymous with the Effective horsepower.[12] This figure takes into account the horsepower needed to move the locomotive, which is not available for hauling the train. The Rail Horsepower is the power at the wheels of a locomotive, directly comparable to the wheel horsepower of a road vehicle.

ORIGINAL: TheStig

ORIGINAL: GMDCAMARO

what is BHP? sorry not the best with acronyms.
RWHP = Rear wheel Horse Power which is the amount of power a car produces at the rear wheels.

BHP = Brake Horse Power which is the amount of horse power the engine in the car produces.

There is a difference becuase there is a 13-18% (average) loss of HP in the transmission & drivetrain. Companies measure the cars HP in BHP, while alot of hot rodders and tuners use RWHP. Its all up to personal opinion, but I like to tell people both. Anytime you just see "HP" it accully means BHP, but most people leave off the B.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Member

Well take those full boltons Musicman did, add a posi unit, the gears he has, and a good tune... You're well into the 14s :$ I'm running a 3.42 posi, but I'm tuned and running right in the mid 14s... So you spend...

Headers - $250 + labor
Intake - Free mod
Catback - $400 + labor
Tune - $225
Posi unit - $250 + labor

Depending on the deals you got, you're looking at $1000 in mods prolly. I personally got everything free except my headers and tune in which I did all mods myself so no labor.

$475 for a mid 14 sec car plus the 2 grand I bought it for... Plus some routine maintenence (all done myself) $500 or so....

3 grand and I'll run with a 93-97 Z all day long

Just stating this for those that doubt modding a V6 being worth it. It's fun and always nice to go faster =P

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

Not mid, my fastest was 15.99 stock.
i said mid high 15, i thought auto 3.8 was a low 16 and the 5spd was mid 15?

3 grand and I'll run with a 93-97 Z all day long
what do all have done to be pulling mid 14's?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

can you guys just call it LSD, reading posi unit and posi track drives me nuts. it sounds red neck

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Well call out the rednecks at GM who trademarked the term "positraction" as a term to describe "their" LSD.

And just stuff... I don't really tell ppl what I have done. Suspension, bolt ons, some other minor things that help.

Keep in mind Import that Musicman is running an open diff and not even tuned and ran a 14.9....

Tuned with an LSD? Psh he's the fastest V6 here easily.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I've got a pcm for less tune, but it's crappy (runs rich, fowls plugs, etc.). When (if) I get my locker, it'll liven things up a bit, especially with the 315 series tires that'll go on my new TTM's. But the drag racing the v6 thing is old, thanks to the mustang that I drag race. 10.9 is a kick in the pants

Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Fix the Maro's tune and LSD and run it one more time and tell me what you run =P

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe. This season was hard on her, she burns a quart of oil a month now. I need to pull the engine and do a bit to it, but I'm still contemplating the lt1 swap I've been thinking of for months. You can go fast with a V6, but I like the aftermarket for the lt1.