93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

How would i install a muffler on my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Default How would i install a muffler on my Camaro?

Alright.
I just bought a 1998 camaro.
Its my first car..im 16.
There's no catalytic converter on it..

so how would i go about putting a muffler/exhaust on it..
what would i need..and i want it to sound pretty cool.
i was thinkin about just putting a cherry bomb glass pack on it..
its cheap and sounds pretty decent..
alot better then nothing too..

but i need help on how to install it and what i'd need.

any suggestions or anything would be cool.
thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14634/D25F6A85743745E68CBED00483543F4F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: How would i install a muffler on my Camaro?

If you or nobody you know, knows how to weld, than you can either try clamps or take it to an exhaust shop. Exhaust shop should be able to do whatever you are looking for.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I am trying to follow exactly what you are asking for here guy and I am little confused. Are you assuming that since the car does not have a cat that you cannot get a cat back for it? Also, I am assuming the car does not have a muffler on it right now? Any idea why the person who owned it previously would delete the cat and not throw on a better muffler?

If that is your assumption, then in a way you are wrong. You can still get a cat back for it. You would just need to do a little modification to it.

Like 02Stang said, if your out on personal welding options. Take it to a muffler shop and tell them what you want and they will do it for you. Personally, I feel clamps are not the way to go unless you go for the overlap clamps, not the U-bolt clamps.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 PM

well
the guy i bought it from.
he took the cat off and was planning on putting a better muffler on it..
but i bought it before he did..

and now im just wondering what's a good muffler to put on it and how would i go about it..

also..if i just went to a muffler shop wouldnt they say i need a cat??

how much do you think they'd charge??

Old 09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the other two responses. Welding on your exhaust system is superior to solely using clamps. Since you say you don't have a cat or a muffler, I would recommend getting an aftermarket high flow cat and then either a 2.5" or 3.0" cat-back. You can go on YouTube and find some sound clips to give you a better idea of what you would want. Usually if you're inexperienced with an exhaust system installation, it'd be better to go to a shop to have them weld it on, since you might have issues with fitment and alignment. You could always try and save some money by buying your cat and cat-back on a website like Summit, and then taking it into some place to have it put on.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:08 PM
DeZ
1st Gear Member

what's a good muffler to put on it
most ppl i seen has always used mangaflow on theirs. but i hate them, i think they sound like a cat winding up ready to attack.

flowmasters sound good down low and mid range. but high sounds like a cat screaming.

if nothing else take the exhaust system off a z28 or something.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hanging an exhaust system is really a thing of art when doneby a guy that knows what he is doing. The exhaust system has a very specific area it must hang in so not to bang around on anything or drag on a speedbump. Exhaust work is not that hard,you just need the proper tools and patiance.
Get the car up in the air as high as you can and wear safety glasses.
A good jack and jack stands, sawzall, and a nice 3/8" impact gun are critical for exhaust work. Our systemsaint bad to install, just be real attentive of the details going around the rear end and the pipes entering and exiting the muffler.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a 3.8l with no cat, a cherry bomb glasspack, and duals out the back. its not bad until u hit about 3500 rpm.

my dad, "here, i'm gonna take ur car down the road, u stand here and listen to what i hear everyday when u get home"
he drives by a few times, then comes back to get me.
me, "well.... at least the car looks good..."
lol

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I use dynomax, Ive had flowmaster before, I like both. Its all personal preference. with no cat, and a glass pack your car will sound like crap, It'll be too loud, and not have the power that it sounds like. People will laugh. When you punch it and it screams but dont go anywhere. Get something in your price range, talk to the profesinols at the shops first, then decide what is best for you.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

hes right, it is pretty loud when u punch it, the cars rnt exactly slow, and where i live, my car sounds like a beast compared to the cavalier rice and a good ol hundai with a folgers can. as long as u dont floor it andshift reasonably, i think it sounds fine

Quick Reply: How would i install a muffler on my Camaro?