93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

how to tell if my fuel pressure regulator is going out

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

put all new o rings in and put er back together and see what the pressure does.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by craby
put all new o rings in and put er back together and see what the pressure does.
lol that was my plan but no one has enough o-rings or any of the injector filters. autozone has 1 pkg of o-rings(4 total), at each store, I would have to go to 3 stores to get enough of them. Oreillys has none. Im going to see if a semi-local fuel injection shop has what I need Monday, if not I can get the rings and filters for $20 on ebay, just hate waiting... I did hook up a tube, 40psi pressure, 12v and run some brake cleaner through the injectors, they are all working but half still have a horrible spray pattern. Going to remove the filters and run them again today and see what I get out them. Seems the spray side tip/holes are pretty funky but I don't know a good way to clean them

Last edited by TheFrozenDog; 06-10-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best way is to have them cleaned and flow tested at an injector shop. not that expensive. dang i have a bunch of the o rings around here. also have a couple sets of injectors. where you at

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by craby
best way is to have them cleaned and flow tested at an injector shop. not that expensive. dang i have a bunch of the o rings around here. also have a couple sets of injectors. where you at
I'm in Dallas, thanks! but not needed. I went ahead and installed after I cleaned them and found some new o-rings, I got them flowing pretty nice, a little air pressure, 12v and a lot of carb and brake cleaner and they really opened up and started spraying nice. Wasn't near as bad putting them back as I thought it was going to be, my daughters tiny hands made it a lot easier lol. Next time I'll order the rings and filters first.

So I went ahead and installed them, and put a new fuel filter on JIC. PSI went up to a constant 40, and held when I turned the car off like it was supposed to. Cars idle really smoothed out but it still doesn't have power when you accelerate, sounds/feels like its still missing somewhere.

I've tried reading the codes at autozone and oreilly but this car is the odd year, OBD1 computer and OBD2 connection, the jumping wires trick didnt work for me. Cleaned/checked egr, spark, spark plugs. Replaced IAC.

Seems to run rich. At least thats what it smells like. I guess coils, ICM, or clogged cat could be culprits? I dunno

Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the 02 sensors to see if they are fouled (all black) if the injectors have been causing a rich condition plugs and 02 sensors could be fouled.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM

So... when I got this car a while back, I pulled the driver side spark plug wires and checked for spark, never got to the passenger side. This morning I pulled number one and its a really long boot, was really rusty, so I pulled the plug, really black and wet. hmm.. get a light and really look into the boot, theres no metal connector inside. I pull the wire out of the boot to confirm, nothing. So I throw on a spare wire, no spark to the plug, pull the coil and install a spare that came with the car. BOOM. So now it running but seems off, take it around the block again, same thing. Come out after lunch to drive to the store and it starts and runs like a new car. Computer reset itself maybe? Anyway cyl 5 was getting constant fuel due to stuck injector and number 1 was getting zero spark. Surprised the car made it as long as it did in that shape.

So I take it out and drive it around today looking for a dash, its over 100 degrees easy, after awhile the oil pressure drops on the gauge, really low like right above its start point and its sounding terrible again, bring it home and let it cool off and its back to normal. The oil was changed only 1000k ago, not sure what type he used. The oil pressure dummy light comes on and goes off at random anyway but did not come on today. Thoughts?

Will check the O2 sensor tomorrow just to see whats doing in there. Thanks

Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Oh and I read your car build thread last night. Very cool car man. Nice job on it.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thanks its a work in progress. check what kind of oil filter you have. the cheap fram filter is not happy in a camaro. soundsl like you need new plugs and plug wires. a coil may be failing when it gets hot. just so you know the 3.4 is prone to blow head gaskets so keep an eye on that. dont want to be running it with any antifreeze in the oil. keep an eye on the oil and the level of the oil and coolant, find out what oil you have, if 5w30 or 5w20 you may want to switch to 10w30 or 10w40

Last edited by craby; 06-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

I am having same issues you speak of. The car cranks extra long when starting and idles rough, so I removed the vacuum line on fuel regulator and started car and it streamed fuel out, so I replaced regulator and it starts normal now but still has rough idle and smells rich. I'm going to try resetting the Computer first to see if it still has it in limp mode. I'm also leaning towards the o2 sensor, maybe a inspection on it next.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

do some tests on the evap system. be right back, ok look at number 8 here https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...62/#post557634

Last edited by craby; 06-18-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: how to tell if my fuel pressure regulator is going out