93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Hi all. I'm new to cars and have a few questions bout my 95 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Default Hi all. I'm new to cars and have a few questions bout my 95 3.4L

Ok, so let me start out by saying I'm very new to the car world. I've wanted to get into cars for the last year or so but I have no idea how to begin. I'm going to be going up to the race track here in Tucson to check some stuff out as many saturdays asI can. My Dad is also helping me out with all this new car stuff, he owned a Boss 302 Mustang that he raced before he had me show up and ruin his fun.

Now about the car. I have 95 3.4L Camaro. I have put a K&N Intake on, new radiator and upper and lower hoses, new thermostat, new catalytic converter, and flowmaster on. I did all of those so I have some basic understanding of what's in the car. I have a couple big things I want to do to the car in this order:

New Engine
New transmission
New rear axle (swap from drum to disk brakes)
New sound system/head unit.

He was showing me some custom 6 cylinders with larger pistons and other things done that gave them some mad HP in the March YearOne magazine.

Is it best to get a new engineand transmission from someone like yearone?

How about the best place to get parts for the car? (Summit Racing was really good with my converter, intake, and exhaust)

Are there any like constantly updated Camaro sites with people rebuilding a 3.4L?

Would anyone know what kinda of cost I'd be looking at here (without sound system)? like 2k, 5k, 10k, etc.?

These are a few questions I have for now. If anyone that knows a lot about this kind of work would like to PM me and help me out on a more one to one basis that'd be real cool too. I'd really appreciate the help! (I kinda want to beat my friend's new 98 Trans Am with a 6 cylinder lol)

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Hi all. I'm new to cars and have a few questions bout my 95 3.4L

Here are a couple pictures of my intake, catalytic converter, and exhaust. The last one is me working on the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12499/3AE4A5EA709149F1B40BB8526E37E947.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12499/434819474B5F466CB6095C672054FEE5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12499/390351A343FE48EF9B1507E08ADC5769.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12499/3B51F0094AD542EAA849D31B2B1104BB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12499/D13E9CF62DBB494D9923E59514424A70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Buy a z28 or ss

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

beating a trans am with a 3.4L or the 3.8L would be tough, although I'm sure do-able. Most of the time people will say its not worth it to swap out the V6 for a V8, and that you usually spend the same amount on just buying a V8 car and selling yours. In my opinion, that is the best route, or if you can't afford the insurance then stick with the V6. I've seen several people mention (don't know if they actually go through with it) going from the 3.4L to the 3.8L and I think if you're going to the trouble of putting in a different engine, might as well go biiig. So there's your two options, 3.8L or LS1/LT1

3.8L - You could find an engine for probably ~$500 with 70-100k miles on it. It may need some of the accessories like the computer or a new oil or water pump...who knows. Probably won't cost more than $1000 for a new 3.8L... You won't need many new upgrades from that point on if you opt for the V6, the transmission you have would probably be sufficient for the ~40-50 hp increase, but I'm not positive. If you want to upgrade the trans anyway then why not just get some sort of 3.8L engine/tranny package for a couple hundred extra, check Ebay for that or see if anyone is parting their car out. As for the rear end, check Camaroz28.com or ls1tech.com to see who has recently installed a 12 bolt or 9" into their car and has a spare Z28 10 bolt lying around; that would probably cost $300 and you may need a new drive shaft to fit your V6 application. Z28 rear ends come with 2.73 or 3.23 gears from the A4 cars and 3.42 gears out of the M6's I believe, maybe not even the 2.73s... someone else can chime in about that. Common sense tells you a V6 is easier to swap into a V6 car than a V8 would be...

V8 - This is in depth more. If you swap a V8, go ahead with the LS1...LT1's may be cheaper but the LS1s are a little more advanced I'd say, plus the extra horsies. Used LS1/4L60E engine tranny packages go for around 3-4 grand on Ebay usually with a reasonable number of miles... Upgrade the rear end obviously because of the power, different suspension as well for the added weight. Other than that I imagine you'll have to switch to different size hoses/lines somewhere or other in some spots of the engine bay and possibly throughout the brake, electrical, and fuel systems. Not to mention new engine mounts...don't know how much those are...Very expensive and time consuming operation altogether, although my brother did it with his V6 Mustang a couple years back and swapped it for a newer GT motor. The car runs well and he has probably put about $6000 into it...worth it? I dont know; Mustang parts are probably a bit cheaper as well since they aren't as powerful stock for stock and there are about a trillion more mustangs on the road than camaros, approximately.

Hope that helps? lol

Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM

Yeah, thanks for lettin me know that. So pretty much I'd be better off getting a Z28 or SS? So I'd already be set up with a V8... So tell me... price wise what'd be less money or the better deal? Getting a Z28 or doing what I'd have liked to do to this car? What if I just went with a V8 instead of a custom small block?

I'm looking a lot at the costs, cause I just started my new job and want to know what direction I'd like to go/save for. I really want a Z28 at some point and if it'd be more cost-effective in the long run to get one now instead of practically rebuilding this car, would it be better to just get a Z28?

If I went with a Z28 bout how long does the engine remain strong? I see ones that have 140000 miles for sale and because it's a sports car it seems a little much and also cause it's a Z28 they probably have run the engine hard multiple times.

Thanks for the patience with all my questions

Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not sure what you bought the car for, but depending on the miles, I would guess you could get 3000 for selling it? Maybe more maybe less; I've been trying to sell my 2000 V6 auto w/90k on it for months at the blue book value of 7000 and have had no luck...

anyyyyway. Do you want the 93-97 body style or the 98-02 style? You could probably find the LT1 versions at 100k miles for around 6-7k, and the LS1 versions with 50k miles roughly around 9-11k. so for 3-4k you could switch cars to the LT1, and for 6-8k you can switch to a newer LS1. I'd estimate the total cost of swapping an LS1 in your car to be around 6k...Save your time and inevitable frustrations during a swap and you can get a newer looking, more advanced, and powerful car with everything included and PLENTY of potential to upgrade from there. I have an M6 LS1 Camaro now, and got it for 6500 from my work (car dealership) with 85k miles on it...for another 3500 I have gotten heads, cam, and intake manifold and the small bolt-ons like headers, throttle body, and lid. When it is all together I'll be around 450 hp to the wheels (in theory lol)

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

You can really work with ither, you will end up spending more on the v6 to get the same power out of spending less on a v8. personally i have a v6 and live the little bugger, but i also love my old v8. my own oppion is v8's are for serious work adn racing. v6s are for a great daily driver that will kick alot of other butt. some popel liek haveing a v6 sleeper that can kick a v8s a$$ but it will most likely cost you more. as long as it is a camaro your still the coolest thing on the road. hooraa

Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Ninja Administrator

u wont do it with just boltons, and the aftermarket support for the 3.4 is so small that u may not be able to find the parts you need. you would be better off buying a new car like these guys said. and LT1 can be had for 5k pretty easily in good shape, and maybe 2k more and you will easily walk all over ur buddy's TA assuming he stays stock.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My buddy recently sold his 96 3.8L camaro for $2500, it had 99k miles on it and it was kept in good condition. The v6 camaro's dont sell all that great and from what he said it would have been impossible to get the KBB value. I think he had it in the papers for three or four weeks, posted it on ebay, and then just put a for sale sign on it since he lives on a main road. Some guy bought it for a first car for his son (hey kinda like mine did except i paid for half of mine and it still isnt under my name >.< ). Im looking to sell mine right now and pick up a 98 and up Z28, just because I cant get any power out of my engine for a reasonable price.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My frind sold his 1994 3.4 with 110,000 for 3,500 but the car was in impecable shape.

Quick Reply: Hi all. I'm new to cars and have a few questions bout my 95 3.4L