93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

hey guys, my car runs strangely.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy hey guys, my car runs strangely.

when i push on the gas i feel that it struggles with gas or maybe something else. i do smell a little bit of more gas than usual. i changed the spark plugs and wire just to be on the safe side and used injector cleaner but to no avail. heres my theory, could it be the egr valve, injectors, fuel pump, map sensor or fuel filter. i feel it does struggle with fuel but than again it might be something else...any thoughts...

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well, if your smelling fuel more than usual, then to me it definitely seems fuel related.

first thing id to is check my fuel pressure. also check your fuel pressure regulator. from my understanding, unplug the vacuum line from the pressure regulator, and if there is fuel in the line then the regulator is bad. but then again, if the fuel pressure regulator went, idk if the car would even run. but its worth a try to check it since it only take a couple seconds to check.

its a round metal piece on your fuel rail with a vacuum line connected to it. you cant miss it.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Coil packs, O2 sensors, fuel filter, fuel pump, bad injector...there are quite a few things that can cause it. I only named the most popular (left our plugs/wires since they've been changed). If the fuel filter has never been changed, it won't hurt to change it now. Check fuel pressure. If possible, have a shop clean and check the injectors.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Start with the basics, have the car scanned for codes.. No point in guessing, at least a code can point you in the general area.

I would run some seafoam through the tank, i do it to all my cars every 5-6 months. Not only cleans etc, but gets the water out of the system.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

Could be a weak spark or to much fuel.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

How can I test the fuel injectors?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Poor power and no Check engine light?

Step one, if it not been done in the last year, Fuel filter.
Step two, Fuel pressure test.
Step three, If the cat converter is still on it you need to run a back pressure test on the exhaust.

Injectors, plugs , wire don't really fail as a group, They almost always give a random missfire code and they feel like a miss. Your looking for something that effect the entire engine at once. Like a Air temp, MAP or MAF sensor. Those parts almost always set a code.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-25-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree sounds like low fuel pressure. as strange as it may sound, low fuel pressure can cause a rich condition.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ill try to change the fuel filter tomorrow (never been changed) but the fuel pump might be the problem. when i run the car at low rpms it runs fine with just a little shake. when i push down on the gas is where it struggles, at some point it does go but struggles. i did put new spark plugs and wires.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In my head you just perfectly described a plugged up Cat converter. Very well could be fuel filter or pump.

Quick Reply: hey guys, my car runs strangely.