93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help!! Shift knob shakes at 80 mph. 5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Default Help!! Shift **** shakes at 80 mph. 5 speed manual

New Camaro owner here and as everyone else I am currently loving my 99 camaro 5 speed manual, but I'm having a new issue of my shift **** vibrating at highway speeds. I recently had to change my transmission mount as it was banging something awful under my passenger side; still vibrates at high speeds. I got new wheels and tires but my steering wheel doesn't shake. I've searched high and low for an answer on furums. Can anyone put their .02?

Last edited by Bonafide_Maro; 03-31-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Need to add details
Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are a lot of things that come to mind, the bad mount could have damaged the u-joints or the output shaft bushing. The driveshaft itself could have lost its balancing weight or it could be the internal output shaft bearing in the transmission.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep sounds like all that moving around may have made your u joints unhappy.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:24 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies, I'm gonna have someone look at it soon, until then is it safe to drive highways? Or just street?

Everywhere else on forums would say shaky steering wheel, which I don't have so that should eliminate alignment or balance of my new wheels right?

Old 04-01-2017, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
There are a lot of things that come to mind, the bad mount could have damaged the u-joints or the output shaft bushing. The driveshaft itself could have lost its balancing weight or it could be the internal output shaft bearing in the transmission.
ok gonna check u joints first, and follow up with drive shaft, might purchase another driveshaft, lighter and one piece; as I understand that the 99 v6 has a 2 pieve heavier shaft?

Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I thought they did away with the two pc in 98, if you have a 2 pc then the bearing between the two pcs is the most likely issue.

Checking u-joints and even the output bushing is just a matter of grabbing them and feeling for play. It is good to have someone that knows what they should feel like but it should not cost much more then the cost of putting the car on the lift.

Driving it is up to you, driving it while it is not shaking is ok but driving while it shakes is a little scary, Let say it is a u-joint you could damage the output shaft bushing or the pinion bearing in the rear. The worst case would it being the rear main bearing in the transmission. Right now its $40 plus a lot of labor to repair it. If the bearing comes a part it will be cheaper to buy a new transmission then it would be to fix your current one. Most likely what ever is damaged, is damaged from driving the car with a broken trans mount.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:04 PM

I thought they did away with the two pc in 98, if you have a 2 pc then the bearing between the two pcs is the most likely issue.

Checking u-joints and even the output bushing is just a matter of grabbing them and feeling for play. It is good to have someone that knows what they should feel like but it should not cost much more then the cost of putting the car on the lift.

Driving it is up to you, driving it while it is not shaking is ok but driving while it shakes is a little scary, Let say it is a u-joint you could damage the output shaft bushing or the pinion bearing in the rear. The worst case would it being the rear main bearing in the transmission. Right now its $40 plus a lot of labor to repair it. If the bearing comes a part it will be cheaper to buy a new transmission then it would be to fix your current one. Most likely what ever is damaged, is damaged from driving the car with a broken trans mount.
woah, thank you so much for the input and time to help me out.
I'm just gonna city drive until I can get it looked at on Monday. I'll keep the thread posted and pics if possible.
ill look at u joints, bushing, and DS all at once.

Also I went under Her and noticed a layer of oil gunk surrounding my rear end, is this a leak? Will get photos soon.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:12 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is not uncommon for rears to seep oil, if the car is around dusty roads the gunk can build up, the important thing is to check the level and make sure its good. You can have the mechanic do that when he checks for the shake.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Default Updated info

It is not uncommon for rears to seep oil, if the car is around dusty roads the gunk can build up, the important thing is to check the level and make sure its good. You can have the mechanic do that when he checks for the shake.
Update!!!!!!

3 weeks later. Sorry for the Hiatus.
Finally got around to removing driveshaft and replacing the steel one for a lighter aluminum one. The shaking is less noticeable at 60 mph, unlike the steel one would be shaking fiercely at 60mph. This aluminum one didn't however remove the shaking all together, it still shakes uncontrollably at 70 MPH in no matter the gear.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You still feel it mostly in the shifter?

How about your chair or the steering wheel?

Did you install the V6 mount? The V8 mount will bolt up but it not as thick and it will mess up your drive line angles.

Is it worse under load like up hill or is uphill and down hill the same? If you push in the clutch and just coast is it the same?

Last edited by Gorn; 04-24-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Help!! Shift knob shakes at 80 mph. 5 speed manual