Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 V6 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/)
-   -   Help with nos (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/help-nos-53357/)

Gorn 07-16-2010 02:15 PM

Where is the fuel line going in? you did say it was a wet system? You do understand that No2 is just oxygen and without extra fuel you will just melt your pistons and rings?

I don't mean to offend I just do not want to see anyone fry an engine.

rwferguson 07-18-2010 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 439602)
Where is the fuel line going in? you did say it was a wet system? You do understand that No2 is just oxygen and without extra fuel you will just melt your pistons and rings?

I don't mean to offend I just do not want to see anyone fry an engine.

Ok so i was misinformed that it was a wet system, this is what i know. it is a dry system i had to change the nozle to the intake becuase i couldnt get enough fuel into the motor. had no change. so i installed it in the intake tube, before the maf, we finally got everything corrected. So here is what i recommend to all 3.8 camaro's. We first started out with a 55 shot of no2 and it was just not enough for me, went up to the 75 shot, felt a huge difference, still wasnt happy, finally installed the 100 shot of no2 and all i can say is nasty. No issues with the motor, car runs perfect, no mis no backfires, nothing as of right now. My buddy has a 2000 ford mustang GT, has the following parts, bbk cold air intake, full exhaust with h pipe, upgrade fuel rails, ford racing intake manifold, underdrive pullies, and with a tune, all i have is a cold air intake and exhaust with this 100 shot of no2, and literally next to this guy, no bull. Dudes car runs a low 13 in a 1/4 mile, i went from a 16.2 to 13 not verified yet but plan on going out to the track this next weekend to run the car. We have street races here in columbus, now nobody wants to play with me.

Gorn 07-18-2010 06:07 AM

Your running 100 shot dry with your stock fuel system? That is very dangerous. My understanding of the dry system is it uses the Rich mapping of WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and leans it to run better. The mapping is runs 20-25% rich. Since the system is designed for 200 HP that would mean 40-50 HP worth of fuel at WOT.
Your 100 shot is running your car very lean. You are going from 14.7 normally. You are pushing 19 to 1. Your engine and specifically you piston/rings will not last long. You have increased the heat in your cylinder X3. The two weak spots in the 3.8 are the pistons and the head gaskets. Neither is going to like this at all. You melt a piston your motor will not be salvageable. In racing the old term "Lean is mean" has been around a lot longer than me. Lean will always have more power. Even tuning race cars back in the 80's we knew we could get more power leaning the motor out. You just have to balance that so you do not melt the pistons. To do the 100 shot dry right you need to upgrade your fuel injectors and have the computer tuned. You really should think about switching to a wet system if you are going to stick with 100 shot.

rwferguson 07-18-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 440084)
Your running 100 shot dry with your stock fuel system? That is very dangerous. My understanding of the dry system is it uses the Rich mapping of WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and leans it to run better. The mapping is runs 20-25% rich. Since the system is designed for 200 HP that would mean 40-50 HP worth of fuel at WOT.
Your 100 shot is running your car very lean. You are going from 14.7 normally. You are pushing 19 to 1. Your engine and specifically you piston/rings will not last long. You have increased the heat in your cylinder X3. The two weak spots in the 3.8 are the pistons and the head gaskets. Neither is going to like this at all. You melt a piston your motor will not be salvageable. In racing the old term "Lean is mean" has been around a lot longer than me. Lean will always have more power. Even tuning race cars back in the 80's we knew we could get more power leaning the motor out. You just have to balance that so you do not melt the pistons. To do the 100 shot dry right you need to upgrade your fuel injectors and have the computer tuned. You really should think about switching to a wet system if you are going to stick with 100 shot.

Yea the future plan is to run a wet shot. I dont think the car is running lean, based on that the check engine light hasnt come on yet. a few months back the check engine light would come on before the no2. When i ran the code it kept telling me that the car was running lean, so i went with an aftermarket exhaust and havent seen the engine light on ever since. But i do understand that i need to upgrade the fuel injectors and fuel pump. Actually thats funny you mentioned that. After i posted the last post, i went online looking for a fuel pump and injectors, I plan on getting a tune done very soon but not just yet since i still need to do the following, 3.73 gears, head work, cams, headers, SLP cold air intake, throttle body spacer, msd coil packs, forged internals, which the heads are at the performance shop now, with the cams, they should be done within a week or so. Once everything is delivered and finished, the tune will be done. Hopefully this 3.8 will be pretty mean within the 6 month time frame.

Gorn 07-18-2010 03:42 PM

At WOT you will not set a Check engine light. O2 sensors are ignored. At WOT the car runs a pre-defind fuel map taking into account only Air temp and Map readings.

The only reason I know this stuff is because I reasearched it. When I put my motor together I did so assuming I was going with a 75 shot. I figured since mine was a 2002 motor with only 48K on it I would be safe. I got the headers and hvy clutch. But as I dug deeper I found post after post of guys blowing head gaskets. Some guys where blowing new head gaskets cause they did not get the right kind. That is why I have not done it yet. I use my 96 every day. I will wait till I replace the head gaskets with some good ones. I also found that guys that ran the 100 shot tended to blow out their transmission pretty quick once they go to posi rear.

evilkal 07-18-2010 07:39 PM

Lol 100 shot on a stock motor... You're an idiot. Good bye piston rings.

Gorn 07-18-2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by evilkal (Post 440278)

Hey I was trying to be nice,,, for once :)

rwferguson 07-21-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by evilkal (Post 440278)

Yes sir good bye rings. Idiot lol can we say warranty or is that too hard for ya. Here just spell it out..... Nope guess you are :icon_razz:

Gorn 07-21-2010 03:21 PM

If you think a mechanic can not tell a motor used NO2 you are fooling yourself. Assuming they miss the hole you drilled the intake,which he won't the damage done to rings by no2is very distictive. It being on every cylineder can be the result of only one thing. They will not cover the motor under warranty. There is no such thing as a uncondition warranty on a motor. Even if the car was brand new with less then 1000 miles on it, it would not be covered.

Here how it would go, Mechainc pulls heads and sees the damage because of what he sees he checks the intake. He sees the hole. He calls over the service manager. Service manager tells him to stop working on the car. You get a call. First he will ask if you added NO2, he will ignore what you say and give you a quote on what the repair will cost and then inform you that you have to pay for all the work done up to this point just to get the car back. Now ask me how I know this :)

SloBalt 07-21-2010 03:27 PM

I will take that Gorn worked at a dealer or repair shop at one point in life for $200 Bob?!

Teehee.... You are so right. That is why when dealers try to pull the 'I can't warranty this' crap on me because of my 'aftermarket suspension' or whatever. I got the good comebacks. Working in a car business gets you prepared mentally along with physically for those situations.