93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help Me Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Angry Help Me Please!!

Hi i recently bought a 2000 V6 Camaro 3.8L and it has about 136,500 miles on it. When i got it had a check engine light on so i took it to my work (Autozone) and pluged in the OBII scanner and it was pushin out a p0440 code which is a Evaporative Emission Control Leak. But the guy said he already replaced the gas cap so i just marked that off the list.

Then the other day i filled up my tank and i pulled into work and i noticed that it smelled like pure gasoline. So i look under the car and gas was dripping off the top of the gas tank. So i started to think, because the guy said the owner before him had a new fuel pump put in it about a year ago. So lastnight i ended up droppin the tank and putting a new fuel pump to tank seal. I also noticed that the filler neck had a small crack/cut in it. So for temp i just taped it up with black electrical tape.
Could this be pushing out the p0440 code?

Also when i got it i noticed that it was running a little rough so i decided to do a full tune up on it: Spark Plugs-NGK Platinum, Duralast Wireset, Oil Change and Transmission Filter and Fluid, New Belt. I also noticed that the back coil was really loose i tightend that up. Also i did the sea foam clean through the main vaccum line. I am also only getting about 13 mpg.
Could it be a coil pack going out?
I dont know what to do next because i have dont just about everything tune up wise.
So please help me out and let me know what you think it could be,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chaz

Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, Id get a haynes or chiltons manual. Those usually have good troubleshooting tips. Ive also found that silicone wont seal fuel leaks, so i am guessing tape wont either, fuel is too corrosive.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

the fuel system is under pressure any breaks in the system could interfere with the system.......SFC

Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Have you tried doing a few tanks of Lucas Fuel System Cleaner, or similar? Apart from the other issues, this will help clean all the way to the injectors, and may improve your MPG. Get those leaks fixed too...

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Yeah i drop the tank and put a new seal on it, so i think the check engine light is fixed, but i am still having bad gas mileage.
Lastnight i filled up with super and put in 2 cans of B-12.
I asked a few people and they say this wont hurt it, it will just improve it.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

OK, go back to your very first post where you said "...it was pushin out a p0440 code which is a Evaporative Emission Control Leak. But the guy said he already replaced the gas cap so i just marked that off the list."
From what's happening, and your 440 code, it sure sounds like your tank isn't venting. If the tank isn't venting, pressure can build up inside and gas can get pushed past the sending unit seal, even on an otherwise good sealing one.
One of the lines from the tank leads to the front of the car and connects to a charcoal canister (part of the systems emissions). You want to make sure that line isn't clogged or pinched, and that your canister isn't bad/clogged. Having a proper working evap system is important. Otherwise it can cause engine running issues, and trip the SES light, both of which you're getting.