93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

help keep my 96 3.8 on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation help keep my 96 3.8 on the road.

i have to get a smog check this june to get my plates renewed.
recently i replaced my intake gasket and plenum gasket..........and now i have a couple issues..........
car is throwing multiple codes.
cylinder 4 misfire
inssuficient purge flow
and p1406 egr valve.

i replaced the intake gasket because it was leaking water, but when i got in there it looked to me like it was leaking water into the intake around cylinder 4. could my head gasket gone bad because of the water? or could it just be my spark plug? I all ready replaced the ignition coil. how do i check for that? i get a cylinder 4 misfire at iddle.......car runs great other than that. on top of that do you think i have a vaccum leak that causes the other codes? please help.............

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
4th Gear Member

P1406 is the egr valve pintle position circuit. Check your wiring going to the egr valve or replace the egr valve. If you have not changed the plugs and wires, might want to do that to see if it clears up the misfire. If you think that the head gasket might be bad, get a compression check on the cylinders and a pressure test of the cooling system. Not sure about the insufficient purge flow.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

purge flow has to do with the evap system. if u have a vacuum leak it could effect both the evap purge and the egr. do u think u have a vacuum leak?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

i had same code and just cleaned my egr valve with brake cleaner and then replace maf

Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all the help guys.............
i'm going to first replace egr.....then wait and see what codes are thrown after that.........
if i do have a vacum leak where can I find all the vacum piping and elbows.......i looked for it at autozone and orileys and nothing.........do i have to go to the dealer?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

It'd have to be one hell of a vac leak to affect the EVAP purge canister lol. The insufficient purge flow likely means your purge solenoid/valve is going back in the EVAP canister and is getting stuck. That or it's clogged or leaking. Check the gas cap and the hose coming down from the EVAP.

Check the easy stuff first.

As far as the miss goes... Missing at idle but not on the throttle makes me think you have a clogged up fuel filter.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it could be a blown head gasket. are u getting water in the oil or oil in the water? theres a purge soloniod valve on the passenger side of the intake. the vacuum for it should go to the tb. the egr has a vacuum hose that goes to the egr control valve and its to the back of the intake on the driver side.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
yes it could be a blown head gasket. are u getting water in the oil or oil in the water? theres a purge soloniod valve on the passenger side of the intake. the vacuum for it should go to the tb. the egr has a vacuum hose that goes to the egr control valve and its to the back of the intake on the driver side.
My EGR is a freak of nature then cuz it does not have a vac line to the back of the intake lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

crudd i was thinking it was a lt1 for some reason. ok lol dont pay attention to my last post.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lol lol

Quick Reply: help keep my 96 3.8 on the road.