93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help with fuel pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Default Help with fuel pump!!!

Hey guys I have recently had an issue with my 1999 V6 camaro's fuel pump. I replaced it and it was running great, 3 months later it stopped working. I can't believe that it is faulty... Although that's possible. I replaced the relay with no change, checked my fuses and still I don't hear the whirl when I turn the key on, so I'm not getting power to it. When I spray ignition fluid in the intake it will fire up briefly so it's definitely the pump. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can do to trouble shoot before dropping the fuel tank again and trying to put a new one in?? Thanks

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

first you need to cut a trap door
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54911

second where did you get this new pump autozone??? if so warranty??? if not i suggest you spend good money on a good pump theres a reason autozone is a discount parts store most of there product sux if it wernt for the no questions asked lifetime warranty and there rewards card id NEVER shop there

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Overdrive Member
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure the fuel pump relay isn't going bad? It happened to me. The relay is located under the dead pedal. Just undo the molding at the bottom of the driver door and pull the whole plastic out and the relay will be there.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the quick thoughts... And yes it is a autozone fuel pump I shoulda spent the extra money for a quality product. I will double check the relay and from there I will cut the door! That is very helpful having those dementions... That will save me a lot of time, thank you very much!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If nothing else comes up as bad, it might be smarter to hot-wire the pump from underneath (the plug is way up in the bulkhead area) to make sure it is the pump that's bad. Sure would be a pisser if you went through all that work of replacing the pump, only to find that wasn't the problem. If hot-wiring makes the pump run, you'll need to start tracing the wiring from there to the front. If you get nothing from the pump, then you'll know for sure.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Great plan, I will do that before doing anything drastic

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh yeah, be sure to look at a wiring schematic so you know you're putting power to the right thing. Don't want to toast something you don't want to. Also make sure you have a good ground. I'm not sure of your year, whether ground for the pump is through the harness or off the body of the sending unit.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 AM

Thank you very much camaro 69! I really appreciate the helpful tips!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The cheap Fuel pumps assemblies sold at most parts stores (I think called Airtec) have a very high failure rate. I think I read it is about 10% in the first month. My first one lasted about 3 weeks. Luckly for me it made a bad noise for a day before it failed so I was ready and I knew what it was. The second one failed in about 3 days. That was my part my fault. One of the factory installed lines came off. I should have checked all the clamps before the install.

I intend on replacing this POS when I get time. Also make sure your tank is clean and always install a new filter.

Quick Reply: Help with fuel pump!!!