93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help!! Car is stuck at school

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help!! Car is stuck at school

Hey guys,

So after class I go out to start my car and as I try starting it, it just cranks with no turning over, and if it does turn over, it dies immediately....I'm thinking that it's obviously the starter, but I don't know if it could be anything else....Any responses appreciated, i'mstuck at school and I was done an hour ago so I would really like to go home at least knowing what the problem is.

TIA

Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Help!! Car is stuck at school

What do you mean it cranks but doesn't turn over? They are the same thing... You mean it does't fire/ start? Your fuel pump more than likely is shot. when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump run?

If the starter is turning the engine over then its not bad, its doing its job.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

It doesn't completely start, it just cranks like its trying to start....so you think its fuel pump?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What does your gas gauge read, and does it tell the truth?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

It lies it says its full most of the time unless I am idling for a while....I asked about it a while ago and got no response.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, how long has the gauge been on full since you last filled the tank? Weeks...months?
Eventually "full" is gonna really mean "empty". How do you gauge your tank's level?
And how do you know it's not empty now?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I filled up this morning and I usually just fill up every time it hits 300 miles.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well sounds like your about to fix that problem lol. (fuel pump and sending unit) Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key to the ON position (the position before start)

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

It's either the pump or vents that turn on when I do it, i'm about to head back up to school so ill check and report back, i'll probably just call for a tow now and get it replaced tonight :/ this is not a good way to start the week.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

OK, you filled up this morning. Either it's a huge coincidence, or they are related.
I gotta ask a "duh" question, but is there any chance you may have accidentally filled the car with Diesel?
Believe it or not, it can happen. I knew someone who did that unknowingly. Then suddenly his car started "burning oil". Not till after his engine was rebuilt, and still burned oil (Doh), did he discover that there was diesel in the gas tank....ouch! [:@]
Or...was there a fuel tanker at the station when you were there? You never want to get gas when a tanker is filling the storage tanks because there could be sediment that can get stirred up and pumped into your car. Your fuel filter could be plugged.

Quick Reply: Help!! Car is stuck at school