93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Yup. Get some seafoam deep creep or tb cleaner and spray the intake with 1/3 of the can with the car off. Wait 10mins and start the car. Look for where the white smoke is escaping. Listen too for vacuum leaks.

I would still tap the IAC lightly with the car on to see if there's a difference in the RPM's if you don't detect a vacuum leak.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
Yup. Get some seafoam deep creep or tb cleaner and spray the intake with 1/3 of the can with the car off. Wait 10mins and start the car. Look for where the white smoke is escaping. Listen too for vacuum leaks.

I would still tap the IAC lightly with the car on to see if there's a difference in the RPM's if you don't detect a vacuum leak.
would it be a sensor by any chance? or it more likly a vaccum leak?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear member

First you need to troubleshoot and diagnose it. Check the connectors for the TPS, IAC and IAT to see if they are corroded. You should still see if there's a vacuum leak. Is the check engine light on? What code(s) is it throwing?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a vacuum leak. IAC motor can not give it enough air to go 4500 RPMs. The air has to be coming from somewhere. Get a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around the intake with the car running. You will hear a change in RPMs when you hit the leak.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mrfreez
First you need to troubleshoot and diagnose it. Check the connectors for the TPS, IAC and IAT to see if they are corroded. You should still see if there's a vacuum leak. Is the check engine light on? What code(s) is it throwing?

all the connectors are fine and the only code its throwing right now is the 24x? . but my uncle said that its a crank sensor but he says it wouldnt have anything to do with it goin ape **** the way it is. and as for vaccum leaks go. would a faulty injector ring let in enough air for this to happen? cause i got a new set today.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Sounds like a vacuum leak. IAC motor can not give it enough air to go 4500 RPMs. The air has to be coming from somewhere. Get a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around the intake with the car running. You will hear a change in RPMs when you hit the leak.
would the rpms still climb with the motor already being at 4600rpm and also i dont wanna take a chance of messin up my motor by havin it stay at those rpms when its cold :/

Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you sure the throttle body butterfly's are closing all the way? check to make sure the throttle is not binding or sticking at partial throttle. it would take allot of air to get you to 4500rmps. if all your injectors are leaking air then it may but still takes allot of air. if i unplug my brake boost vacuum it wont go to 4500. thats a half inch hole.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

update: fixed the problem. it was a mix of a few other vacuum leaks. the plastic T fitting that sits in the front of the intake was cracked so i need one of those. the fuel injectors werent set in all the way, and the throttle body gasket didnt cover up the back of the iac housing and allowed that to pull in air. but now i have one more question. my cars throwing a 24x code, what may this be?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's how to test the crankshaft position sensor to know if it's good or bad: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/mai...sor_test_1.php