93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

header bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Default header bolt

One of my header bolts fell off . As I was trying to put it back on it didn't fit as the header was bothering it . I really don't feel like taking half the header out . So can I cut it the bolt so it can fit?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

We need more information and maybe some pictures.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your header shifted a little, its not a big deal. Does it leak without the bolt? If its leaking you most likely going to need to replace the gasket.

If it is not leaking there is a couple of things you can try. Install the bolt when the engine is hot,,, some times the header will expand more then the cast iron head Or you can loosen all the bolts on the side and use a pry bar a just shift the header a little.

The hole should only be off a little, worse case you could use a dremel like tool to open the hole just a little but you need to be sure not to damage the threads.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

loosen the other bolts a little, i almost guarantee it will fit than.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

Did you get this put back together.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM

no i havent . the header is really stuck and when i removed the bolts i was unablke to put one back. so now i have two bolt leaks lol. but im going to try using the pry bar as gorn stated . but im thinking if i should just take it to the shop and let them bother with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Im going to be buying a cam next week so i was wondering if i should do it at the same time ? or will it not bother when installing the cam

Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You really should get this fixed. Leaking exhaust out is not a big deal but it will also draw fresh air in. That woull throw off your O2 sensor and can hurt your valve. If you have the money or your doing the job yourself you should think about doing the head gaskets with the CAM. They can be a weak point on the motor if they have not been replaced yet. New Cam can equal more power, more power equals higher pressures in the cylinders. That can be bad on a 13 year old head gasket.

I have seen car that have bottomed out and bent the exhause, this can put a lot of stress on the header. Some times all the needs done is to losen the exhaust clamps and that will let the header come back.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 AM

Engine rebuild kit, Pistons, Rings, Timing, Valves, Oil Pump for 1999 Chevrolet Camaro

im thinking bout just ordering the rebuild kit from here and getting the cam from thunderracing.com

Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The rebuild is a huge step labor wise. The cam and head gaskets can be done with the motor in the car. Step one to a rebuild is remove engine. Pulling the motor is not a major deal but I would guess it takes me about 3X the labor to pull the 4th gen engine then it would take to do a 3rd gen. But I have pull 100s of 3rd gens and only 2 of the 4th gens.

How many miles are on the motor? As a general rule it is not worth rebuilding a high miles motor. The machine shop work alone can cost over a $1000. The biggest issue is the cylinders and cranks journals are not round anymore. If you just install new rings and bearings in an engine with high miles it can run worse and smoke more than before the rebuild.

Decent rebuild will cost you $2500-$3200 on an average high miles motor. What most guys do is buy a low miles 3800. I have seen 2008, 3800 series III motors sell for $800 with 20,000 miles on them.

Quick Reply: header bolt