93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Had your tranny out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
omr
In the Staging Lanes
Default Had your tranny out?

This is kind of a duplicate thread but I didn't get alot of replies from the other one sooooooooooo..

I recently put a crate motor in my 02 3.8 firebird, I noticed the transmission vent tube was connected to the rear axle vent tube with a T fitting.

My question is does anyone else have a setup like this in their car and if so does the T fitting just vent to atmosphere or does it plug into some thing else?

Doesn't make sense to me for the two to be connected if they are just supposed to vent to atmosphere, I just dont see GM wasting the extra vacuum line.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ive never seen a vent tube connected to anything. usually its just about 10 inches of tubing that falls down the side of the trans.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
ive never seen a vent tube connected to anything. usually its just about 10 inches of tubing that falls down the side of the trans.
That's been my experience also, and so far I haven't found any one with the same setup.

PS it's an automatic.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i would get rid of all that extra vac line and just use a couple inches like its supposed to be

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

I don't see it doing any harm as long as it's vented, I'm just concerned it may be some california emissions deal that is supposed to be connected some where else.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

bump.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OK, let see if this work. Take a coffee can of 1/4 full of gas and set it someplace in the garage, notice the smell, Now wait two week and check the gas, it is gone. Gas has vapor it needs to vent and the law say that must be captured.

Now try the same test with tranny fluid. Check it at two weeks again in a month then in 6 month then in a year. It still the same amount. THERE ARE NO VAPORS. there is nothing to catch. I have no idea why GM would have connected the rear and the tranny or if GM did it but I know they are not trying to collect vapors that do not exist.

As I said in your other post the Vent exist because there is air in the tranny, when it get hot the expanding air need to escape and when it cools it needs to return. Same goes for the rear. In the off road world is pretty common to connect the two vents the run the very as high as possible to keep mud and water out. Maybe the last owner was thinking of building a Camaro mudder.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Gorn
OK, let see if this work. Take a coffee can of 1/4 full of gas and set it someplace in the garage, notice the smell, Now wait two week and check the gas, it is gone. Gas has vapor it needs to vent and the law say that must be captured.

Now try the same test with tranny fluid. Check it at two weeks again in a month then in 6 month then in a year. It still the same amount. THERE ARE NO VAPORS. there is nothing to catch. I have no idea why GM would have connected the rear and the tranny or if GM did it but I know they are not trying to collect vapors that do not exist.

As I said in your other post the Vent exist because there is air in the tranny, when it get hot the expanding air need to escape and when it cools it needs to return. Same goes for the rear. In the off road world is pretty common to connect the two vents the run the very as high as possible to keep mud and water out. Maybe the last owner was thinking of building a Camaro mudder.
Like this...

Barnyard Boggers 4x4 Monster Camaro Mud Bogging - YouTube

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn

No need to get snippy gorn..lol I'm just trying to see is some one else has the same setup.

The hoses, hose hangers and the T fitting all appear to be oem, the T fitting is just like all the other vacuum fittings on the car and the clips that hold the hose are the same as others on the car so it seems that GM did in fact install this setup.

I agree with you that there really is no need for any thing but a vent in this situation but the fact the two are connected makes me think the T fitting may have been connected to some thing else.

I also agree that tranny fluid doesn't evaporate like gas at room tempature but I couldn't tell you what it does at lets say 3 or 4 hundred degrees.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your tranny gets to 300 or 400 degrees and where the vapors go will be the last thing you will be thinking about the flash point of tranny fluid is right around 400 deg but your tranny will start to die at about 250-275 deg. I have never added tranny fluild to transmission unless it leaked out. I have know many cars that did not have any tranny fluid added in 10 years. In fact some manufatures are doing away with dip sticks in their automatic because the biggest lose of tranny fluid comes from people checking the fluid once a month.

Sorry I seem snippy I have a real sacastic sense of humor and it does not translate well over the forums.

Quick Reply: Had your tranny out?