93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

gt2 cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default gt2 cam install?

hey guys i got my GT2 cam yesterday. my car is bone stock. i mean BONE stock. stock muffler and all. if i install this cam, what do you think the turnout would be, i know id wouldnt be getting my max performance but id be getting at least 20hp out of it. my question is would i get and hiddiously bad issues?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

just kind of choke and you probably will need a ecm tune to make it idle fine....

Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would not think your going to see much increase in power with the stock manifold and exhaust on it. As stated above with out a tune its not going to be happy about idle. If it was me I would wait to add header and do the head gaskets at the same time. Unless they have already been done. Pulling the intake is half the job of doing the head gaskets and if you plan on doing headers anyway Then you are only 1/2 an hour away from fixing the 2nd biggest weak spot in these 3.8's

I do not know the specs on the GT2 cam but as a general rule higher lift cams work better at higher RPMs at the cost of some power at the lower RPMs. If your intake or exhaust are restricted and "choke" the motor so it can not run well at higher RPM the high lift cam can reduce your power.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

honestly i think it would id be the perfect sleeper. define choke?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

well im not gonna install it till after july...i plan on driving the car to ohio and i need the mpg

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

well id like to get a set of force fed fabs long tubes...but there so dam expensive. i had pace setters on my old one with a 3 inch all the way back and it sounded sweet with my intense s1X cam. got a spare set of heads that im gonna have a valve job done. it like to run stainless valves cause i plan on running nitrous. im gonna run 105 valvesprings and lightened retainers. i figured im gunna run hardened pushrods too

Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

choke...hummm.....try running 5K breathing by a drinking straw...kind of

Last edited by Time Hybrid; 02-14-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1998camarossclone
well id like to get a set of force fed fabs long tubes...but there so dam expensive. i had pace setters on my old one with a 3 inch all the way back and it sounded sweet with my intense s1X cam. got a spare set of heads that im gonna have a valve job done. it like to run stainless valves cause i plan on running nitrous. im gonna run 105 valvesprings and lightened retainers. i figured im gunna run hardened pushrods too
sounds like a nice project,,,,you think the GT2 is all that well for nitrous use?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

well...i do wanna install it, then install the header. kinda dont wanna let it sit around and risk getting it damaged lol. i hate waiting. if i did in fact install it...would anything hiddious happen?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not really mate, just a tune for idle..........

And probably u can fine tune for upper moving a little timing.....

I understand the need to install things fast, and +2 on lay it around and getting damage, rust or watever....so go ahead, install it an let us know the results.

For the tune there is hundred of options, I personally use HPTuners software. Work fine for me, and a lot and lot of guys can help u fine tuning ur car. And as more mods are installed, u can tweak and tune it. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: gt2 cam install?