93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Good wheels for supercharged v6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Default Good wheels for supercharged v6?

Ok, so i recently purchased a supercharger, lower intake, and headers (getting cat back and low compression heads before i make the full install) but since i'm going to have such an increase in power, i was thinking that the stock aluminum wheels might be too light to give me good traction. I'm no expert on wheels, but i do know the z28's have alloy wheels which are heavier even tho they're light in compared to others, but i was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good wheels that will give me good traction without weighing down the car too much. I've seen a lot guys put the c5 or c6 wheels, which i'd think would be good since they're for a vette, but just looking for some expertise on it, thanks.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Wheels don't affect traction, only tires do. I don't think that a supercharged v6 will have traction problems though. If you don't mind me asking, what motor did you supercharge? Got any pics?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

How about these? 10.5 inch wide rear wheels with sticky tires will get you great traction.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...01776-3-1.html

Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As stated rims have nothing to do with traction. The Larger diameter corvette wheels are for improved handling. The thin side walls help going around corners. You want tall tire walls for launchs.

Your rear does effect your traction. Your V6 most likely has an open rear, you would want to upgrade to a posi.

I would love to hear more about the super charger. Are you going with an intercooler? Any pics? Hopfully it is not the M90 off a 3800 FWD car. We get about 2 people a month wanting to put those on.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Mine is an m90 Gorn heh.

I also want more info on this.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Overdrive Member

The supercharger is a good unit but the intake to it is in the rear of the engine which puts the air filter and MAF right about where your radio goes! You would need to fabricate some intake parts to keep the intake inside the engine bay. A/C hoses may need some mods too. A few ticks to the wiring harness and you might just be in business. I am thinking about doing this just for the fun of it but I have access to a machinist and fabricator that could assist me with the fabrication of the intake parts. If you want to pump up the boost then you would need to worry about an intercooler of some sort and that makes life really messy in that tight engine bay.

Massey

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM
4th Gear Member

He has yet to say what supercharger he has...

I know full well what needs to be done to the M90 And an intercooler doesn't go in the engine bay... It goes in the front of the car behind the bumper. Gotta make sure you keep it up high enough though so the air dam still brings air up to the radiator.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM

IfYea, its the m90, and the lower intake I mentioned is ported for the 3.8, but I'm having my mechanic install it even though I could probably manage it. All that to say, if I need longer hoses or wiring has to be tweaked, he can take care of it. But I was def thinking about an intercooler, I prob will, I'm not installing them til spring soon so I have time, since my winter car's shot to hell and I don't have the $ to go buy a new suv, haha. But its already cramed inthe engine bay imo, but thanks for the tip about where the intercooler should go evilkal, haha.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As stated the M90 will not fit. Its design is backwards regardless of how the lower intake was modified. TB will be where your radio is sitting. You have to custom make the whole intake system from the supercharger to the TB. You do not need a mechainc you need a fabrication shop with machining capiblities.

Do a search on this site. The question comes up about twice a month for the last 10 years. We ares till waiting for the first guy to do it.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Overdrive Member

I have the machinist willing to fabricate the parts needed, I just dont have the engine, wiring, car, computer or other parts to make this all happen. Oh and I am not in any hurry either. I want to get things like a house and better pay before I worry about a SC'd Camaro. Now if I had some one to sponsor me in this project I would be game. OH and I keep the car too!!

Massey

Quick Reply: Good wheels for supercharged v6?