93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Good Radiator????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Good Radiator????

Waddup fellas?
I was out driven my baby around yesterday when I noticed it started to overheat..fast! I have been checking my coolant about once a week and it's been fine so it must have been a slow leak. So I pull over on the highway and it's bone dry. I had someone bring me some h2o to get her home and I have now found a small drip from under the right side tank on my radiator. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to replace it now and I wanted to know how bad of a job this would be for me, do I need a professionals help? Also what is a GOOD radiator to go back with because I have had alot of troubles out of my cooling system so if I'm going to replace this it's going to be with the best parts. TIA guys!!

Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Good Radiator????

I THINK YOU CAN DO IT, BUT IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU KNOW, check www.summitracing.com they have a large selection of radiators

Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Droid

You can get a stock raditor for about $150 & it should last another 100K as long as you keep enough antifreeze in the sytem to prevent corrosion. However, if he coolant is getting contaminated then you are going to continue having problems.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok now I am seriously confused. I just went outside to check on my car and the coolant that I had put in it when it overheated on me was still at the same level, hints no leaks right? So I top it off and start her up and let it run for about 20 minutes or so to get it in running temp. Then cut if off and check level and it is mostly gone???? I had a pice of plywood under it while running and the board is completely dry....where is my coolant going?! I think my fan may be not working properly, I never heard it cut on while running but when I'd turn on my A/C the fan would start up but cut right back off when I cut the a/c off again. PLEASE HELP I am really confused .

Old 05-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Droid

The fan is controlled by the PCM and is automatically forced on when the AC is on. Otherwise The PCM will turn on the fan when the temp is high enough. There are several things that can happen: the temp sensor is not working properly, the coolant may only be leaking when under pressure, such as caused by a bad waterpump seal, or the engine has a bad head gasket. You can check the temp sensor out by running your car in your driveway till the temp gauge goes near the red & see if the fan is forced on. You can check the water pump by looking for water stains under the weep hole. But from your description, stating that the engine overheats very fast, I suspect the head gasket. Pull the spark plugs & see what they look like.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you could have a blown head gasket....your coolant sensor ( fan switch ) may not be working. Try this...Check your plugs see if they are wet with antifreeze or have an antifreeze smell..( Head gasket ) or you can drain the radiator put in 50/50 from prestone...change your thermostat get the 160 degree from hypertech. Use purple ice from royal purple ( Pepboys) Also check your waterpump for any leaks before you do any of this. Check all the hoses for leaks..cracks..

Old 05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thaks for the feedback guys, I have checked all of my hoses which are fine. Like I said before I ran the car the other day for about 20 minutes or so in my driveway and it never got hot but most of the coolant had disappeared. I had a piece of plywood under it to see if there was any leaks and there was none. Yes just sitting in the carport it doesn't lose any coolant but when it runs it does. My water pump I replaced not very long ago at all but I will check it very closely. I am thinking of selling it soon so I don't want to pour alot more money into it right now. Hopefully I can figure this out, I'm worried to drive it. If this helps you guys come up with anything else Please let me know thanks again guys for the help.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok..In the morning befroe you start the car check the level in your radiator...if you don't see any antifreeze..pour some in until you see it almost half up to the neck. Then turn on your car......do this for about five minutes....everytime your antifreeze level goes down add more...until it doesn't go down anymore....then just simply make sure that the resivoir is full. That way you know that the radiator is full. Check it again the next morning to see where your level is at.