93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

functional ram air hoods

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Default functional ram air hoods

Just a question? Does anyone think its worth gettin a ram air hood even though i have a 3.8.I think I may be reachin a little with this mod? lol

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: functional ram air hoods

That would be sweet....

Hood scoops are more for looks/space than perf imo

Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear member

In a way it would be cool to get an SS hood and make it functional, but then again some people don't like the idea of trying to impersonate an SS.. I dont like when I see V6's that people tried to make look like an SS, but I dont think just a hood would be too bad.. Besides, there not a whole lot of hoods I would put on my car..

Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dude, if you wanna put an SS hood on your V6, who is anyone to say anything bad. If it wasnt for guys like us who dared to be differnt, this sport,hobby,lifestyle.....wouldnt exist. Do it if you wanna, and if people ask why, all you gutta say is "because." I remember my first "dare to be differnt" car. I had an 81 FordFairmont wagon with a 200 CID inline six,4 speed manual, and bucket seats. I bought a wrecked out 82 pony GT and converted the Fairmont into the biggest sleeper that town had ever seen..Everything fit from the motor,5speed T5,and rearend. I will never forget a guy at a car show saying to me,"what the hell did you build that thing for?" My answer was simple. "Because" I said. then replied with"ever seen one before?" his answer was no. That was the end of that conversation. We all have our own intrests, so do what makes you happy. Oh ya and by the way, I wanna do the same thing to my 99 V6.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7064/D0323488BCAC4074AAD206CFDDB8DCCC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 PM
4th Gear Member

just dont put SS logos and you'll be set

Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 AM
4th Gear Member

i didnt notice a thing with my ss hood and i sold it............... also you get made fun of because ppl F with you and kill you, then they say they beat a ss. and "why you do it to a v6?" gets annoying. sorry just my imput. it looks cool though but not for $1000 after its painted........................................... ...............................................

Old 03-31-2007, 04:46 AM
2nd Gear member

i agree.. Its just something I wouldnt do to my car.. I dont want some ****** in a ricer or some guy in a Mustang to think he might have or got close to beating an SS.. And, to me it makes the SS less unique..

Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear member

YOu have to work with what you have, and if you have a V6, make the most of it.

A ram air hood makes sense for several reasons. First, it will be fiberglass and significantly lighter than the stock hood. Second, a real ram air hood is not just for show -- yes they look good, but they ad performance, too. Make sure you get one that is in fact fitted with the chamber, seals, works with a filter, etc. A ram air hood like this was one of the first mods we put on the Camaro and it helped at the track.

Install it well according to the instructions and make certain the seals for the cold air chamber are tight and that the filter is locked in place. And realize that about 50% of aftermarket hoods do not fit the body perfectly -- their line with the fender is a bit off. You can have a body shop re-align the fenders if you need to to get a perfect "show" fit.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 PM

thanx everyone. i still dont know wat i want but oh well, i have the time in the world

Old 04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
4th Gear Member

they do not add any noticable performance. i had the ss one. PPL "F" w/you all the time .............................. it did look nice though o well.

Quick Reply: functional ram air hoods