93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fuel Tank Exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Fuel Tank Exploded!

Okay, I may have been exaggerating a little about it exploding but something is seriously wrong. I get awful gas mileage, and I mean like 14 mpg, the inside of my car smells like fuel everytime i get in. Also, whenever I take the fuel cap off to fill up, it sounds like air is blowing out of it. Like when I barely turn it, it sounds like someone is slightly letting air out of a balloon. Any ideas? I have done nothing to try to fix this problem because I work and have very little time but it seems to be a serious problem. i dont drive it but about three times a week, because i work and live on campus at my school.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your fuel lines. there are three lines. vent, return and fuel. follow them all the way from the injector rails to the tank.. look for damp or wet spots or clean spots. also check the fuel pressure regulator. pull the vacumn hose off it and look and smell for gas.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, whenever I take the fuel cap off to fill up, it sounds like air is blowing out of it
That's a good thing - it should make this noise, which means your tank ISNT exploded - because it means your tank is holding pressure and holding the fuel vapor. I had a disconnected purge line and wouldn't get this sound until everything was hooked back together. You might a leak somewhere forward of the tank - check the lines running from the tank up the driver's side of the vehicle - and make sure there's no fuel leaks under the hood.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it never use to make this sound. and recently, my gas mileage has dropped from 21 mpg to 14 mpg and now this has been happening

Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its a sealed system should be a suction not air coming out. check your evap can and see if its pluged or full of fuel.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well this is weird, but i checked the lines and no leaks. so i talked to my friend about it and we decided to just check stuff that would lower fuel mileage. air filter good, tire pressure fine, and i used fuel injector cleaner. nothing got better. so i changed the spark plug and wires and that fixed it lol.

but it just had a tune up in may before i bought the car but the guy never replaced the wires so i did that

Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, the tune up that was done was just spark plugs? Not much of a "tune up" was it?
Do you still get the fuel smell inside the car like you were before?
With the bad wires, you must have been pouring a bit of raw gas out the exhaust. Was the engine running rough too?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah and probly changed 7 plugs to boot. good deal man back in crusing condition, to bad the weekend is almost over.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
yah and probly changed 7 plugs to boot. good deal man back in crusing condition, to bad the weekend is almost over.
7 plugs on a v6? Must have done one twice for good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol crap caught me. i better edit that one. lol.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Exploded!