93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fuel Pump Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Fuel Pump Replacement?

I have had a hard time getting my car to start since a little before winter. I started using starting fluid to get my car going in the mornings and after work (whenever it sits for more than and hour or 2) This has worked well but today my car started up fine (after its daily spray) and then I went to accelerate it just kinda "putted" along and did not wanna do much. It finally got with the program and started running right, later I went to leave again it acted the same yet this time it died at the stop sign down the street and was not staying idol. It just started and died. I figured it was my fuel pump and just pushed it back to the house. I went outside to try and move it and it started up just fine and ran like nothing was wrong. What the heck is going on? Is it my fuel pump?

If you made it this far thank you, its a 95 3.4

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

when you have the car running, can you hear any noise coming from where the fuel pump is?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Droid

Before changing the pump, which can be a PIA and expensive, test the fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator with an appropriate fuel injection pressure gage.
As a quick check, before attempting to start engine, turn key ON & OFF several times without cranking engine to get the system primed. Then attempt to start. If engine now starts with no problems, it indicates that the fuel system is not holding pressure when the pump is off. If this is the case then it still could be a bad fuel pump, bad pressure regulator, leaky injector or damage injector wiring, or an actual fuel leak.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear member

see above first.ever changed the fuel filter?alot easier and cheaper than a fuel pump.but as Pete said the best first test would be the fuel pressure if you have access to a pressure guage

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My Fuel Filter is Brand New. I messed with it a little today and I pressed the release valve down when the car was turned off and gas barely dribbled out. I Cycled the pump and it shot out about an inch. THEN I started the car and it sprayed maybe 2 inches..... SO I was told I have almost no pressure and that it could be either the pump or the Fuel Pressure Regulator. TO check the FPR I was told to remove it and if it leaked gas it was bad.....how do I remove it? Am I even going in the right direction? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would suspect the regulator first. u lost pressure in the injector part of the system and the regulator has control of it. pull the vacumm line off the regulator and see if theres gas in it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM

your best bet is to get a hold of a fuel pressure tester. thats really the only way you will know for sure, it can only be your fuel pressure regulator, or your fuel pump. The fuel pressure regulator is on the drivers side of the engine. With the car running disconnect the vacuum hose from the regulator and see if there is a drop in pressure. If there is then the problem is the fuel pump. if the pressure stays the same its the regulator.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I actually have a very similar problem with my firebird. shame on me for joining a camaro forum but they got the same engines... not sure if its a fuel pump or a regulator, I was driving and if I laid on the gas it would bog out, had no guts. Stupid me decided to shut the car off at a wawa, I ended up pushing it 14.7 miles home with a little subaru outback. ironic...

Anyhow, I really like this thread. You guys rock.
one question, where is this pressure release valve you speak of?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BigCat2010
Anyhow, I really like this thread. You guys rock.
one question, where is this pressure release valve you speak of?
Which engine? Regardless it should be on the fuel rail. The fuel rail is the thing the injectors plug into.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-12-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
2nd Gear member

should be on top and towards the rear of engine.looks like a big air valve and might have a cap on it.but be carefull.you dont want to go spraying gas all over your engine

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement?