93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fresh camaro blood

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Smile Fresh camaro blood

Hey all im a proud new owner of a 3.4 95 camaro 5 spd I bought it off a close friend of mine he jus doesn't have the money to keep it nd insure nd stuff nd he dsnt wana see it rot in bad hands so I figured id adopt some american muscle..tho mine is lackin some protein =/ lol. Anyways he's replaced the clutch before somewere in ct around 6 months ago or so thing I don't think they took good care of him there or maybe jus dueshes or somthin but the clutch is pretty dam hard..I have a 92 maxima 5 spd and my clutch pedal feels like a feather compared to the camaro I'm sure he didn't get some stage 3 racing clutch..I'm almost positive both my max nd now camaro have stage one clutches but the camaro is jus so hard to push down on the clutch..also its hard to put into gear sometimes like I have some trouble putting it into first gear even if I double clutch/pump w.e still pretty "tricky" to put it in gear..

Now here are my questions and some additional commentery..I believe those mechanics in ct didn't bleed or do a good job of bledding the clutch system I'm pretty sure its the master slave cylinder or somthin so could that be why I have such a hard time pushing down the clutch or putting it into gear?

2) secondly my personal theory ATM(jus lemme kno if I'm over thinking or possibly on the right track ) of the whole hard clutch thing is it maybe that even tho my maxima has a stage one clutch and my camaro has a stage 1 clutch but because my max is a sedan and family oriented that it has a more everyday type of driving feel that's easy on the driver and maybe cuz the camaro is kind of sport oriented, also being a coupe and lower to the ground or maybe just a different tranny/clutch design.. that regardless if I go out and find the softest clutch out there ( in the perspective of a daily camaro driver ) then it would still be relatively hard to someone like me who's use to driving a japanese sedan with feathery clutch pedal feel....basically is what I'm experiencing normal and I should just shut up slam on the clutch shove that $%&* in gear and just drive...cuz earliar when I mentioned it was "tricky" to put in gear it was cuz I'm not use to using so much strength in my arm to put it in gear I feel like I'm hurtin the tranny but the car runs and feels fine no leaks or anythin...I read all the stickes and similiar threads but haven't quite found one wit paranoia like mine anyway thanks in advance for the help id rlyyyyy appreciaite it if you guys were detailed with ur responses I'm use to working on japanese/european so not famaliar with all american car terminology but yea lookin foward to hearing from you guys!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Check your clutch fluid reserve. You might need to add some fluid and pump the crap out of the clutch to get all the air out. It also might need a good lube job on the clutch petal pivot point.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
Check your clutch fluid reserve. You might need to add some fluid and pump the crap out of the clutch to get all the air out. It also might need a good lube job on the clutch petal pivot point.
Thanks for the advice..I wouldn't have known that second thing you named quick question does your camaro clutch feel the same? Or for the most part stock camaro clutchs are pretty rough.. Did you kinda understand what I was talking about or it was too confusing?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya my clutch isn't the smoothest but it's still stock. Doesn't take much effort to put in gear. As for depressing the clutch it is a bit of work but Not that much. If you can jack your car up and search under your car with a light and try to see if there is anything leaking from around the clutch and see if it's from the slave. Also look around the master for leaks and around the piston shaft on the master for scoring on the shaft. Clean it up if dirty and add a little dot 3 break fluid to lube it up.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Ya my clutch isn't the smoothest but it's still stock. Doesn't take much effort to put in gear. As for depressing the clutch it is a bit of work but Not that much. If you can jack your car up and search under your car with a light and try to see if there is anything leaking from around the clutch and see if it's from the slave. Also look around the master for leaks and around the piston shaft on the master for scoring on the shaft. Clean it up if dirty and add a little dot 3 break fluid to lube it up.
Ah wow interesting to hear I'm glad I'm not alone on this but also sorry for u too lol. But yeah I'm gona try what you said and see if that helps at all have you tried the same for your car? Or you were pretty much content on the feeling and didn't wana change anything. Also what's "scoring" mean like wearing away?u want me to check if the shaft is worn?

I was thinking about a gear oil change the cars got 73k on it..its never been changed before think if maybe I change the oil to Redline gearoil or royal purple that id have some smoother shifting? I kno it won't effect my clutch problem but I was also thinkin of flushing the master nd slave

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

these clutches are the hardest clutches ive ever felt and ive drive LOTS of manual cars

Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Scoring would be nicks in the shaft showing something cutting into it causing it to be really stiff. Flushing the trany would smoothen it up alot. I'm not worried about
Mine as it's fine for now but I'm going to flush everything when I do my clutch when it goes.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya they are stiff clutches. The only car I can think of that was stiffer was my 1990 cavilier. Going to my 96 camaro was like cutting butter with a hot knife. Then I drove a few volkswagens and subarus which are so much easier to depress. But I guess being a camaro owner involves having a heavy right foot, a strong left leg and a deep wallet.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

But I guess being a camaro owner involves having a heavy right foot, a strong left leg and a deep wallet.
bingo

Old 01-30-2011, 01:39 AM

Ya they are stiff clutches. The only car I can think of that was stiffer was my 1990 cavilier. Going to my 96 camaro was like cutting butter with a hot knife. Then I drove a few volkswagens and subarus which are so much easier to depress. But I guess being a camaro owner involves having a heavy right foot, a strong left leg and a deep wallet.
Haha I like that line but thanks guy I have a better idea of the cammy now I've pretty much only driven my max as far as manuals go so I wasn't quite sure wut u guys feel too with your camaros but ima def try those other thing you named