93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

free mods for a 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default free mods for a 3.8

I was wondering if there's any free mods that I can use for my 3.8 until i get the money to do my swap, I've heard rumors of a block keeping the throttle body from opening all the way, and other things like that, I just don't want to take that stuff apart until I know if it's there for sure. also, the resistor chips that go on the intake, I have tons of resistors laying around and i was wondering what size that is, that's also a free mod for me.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: free mods for a 3.8

the most common free mod for all 98+ models is to remove the air intake and sand down the baffles on the inside until its smooth this esntially creates a cold air intake for you

Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, that's one, looks like I know what I'll be doing this afternoon. anything else?

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Sugar in the gas tank... No but seriously your not going to see any huge gains with "free mods" and if yourgoing to swap I dont think its worth it.I mean maybe if you take advantage of those free mods in conjuction with real mods. Youve got to pay to play.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And stay away from those intake resistor "chips". They're a scam. All it does is alter your fuel richness by fooling the computer into thinking that the incoming air is colder than it really is. But the computer just readjusts the fuel mix to how it should be from the readings it gets from other sensors that are further down the line.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear member

weight reduction , and you can cut out the bottom of ur air box

Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

hey SSv6 there are actually a bunch of free mods you can do to these things. There is a list and a how to over at camarov6.com somewhere. I was going to post a link for ya but seems there website isnt working or something right now.

Dont listen to these guys. Yea free mods are cheap and dont get you much but you know what; they are fun. You get to spend some time working on your car and, with the economy the way it is in the ****ter, you get to make some mods so it isnt 'bone stock'.

Off the top of my head: getting rid of the fins in the air box. I used a dremel and a die grinder. Also helps to open up the oval in the back as much as you can. I cut the bottom of the air box out to get more air in there (doesnt really do much). I also got rid of the silencer. Went to Home depot and picked up some 3" dryer vent. If you want to do it, get the expandable tubing but not the one that comes in a box that looks like flakey aluminum foil. That stuff can fall apart and cause you problems. The kind I got is quite rigid and was laying on a shelf as just a long straight tube. I have had mine on for almost two years and no holes or anything in it yet which is everyones biggest reason to rag on this mod.

There are other mods like egr delete, coolant line bypass, etc that you can look up and check out. Goodluck!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Egr delete requires tuning, unless you want an ses light on forever. Free mods can be fun, as long as they're done properly.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Overdrive Member

EGR delete doesn't really do anything as it is not used at idle or full throttle. It is used during cruising, and in addition to emissions it also helps gas mileage.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Frechles71, Do you have a picture of your engine bay? Everybody says to remove the air baffles under the air lid and replace the silencer but never really explain where it is... I also would like to see how/ where you moved your sensor. Thanks for the ideas!!!

Quick Reply: free mods for a 3.8