93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Evap and EGR Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Evap and EGR Not Ready

Okay so two weeks ago I replace the o2 sensors and now I'm trying to get the inspection and Its showing Evap and egr not ready. When I replace the o2 sensors I clear the codes and there is no check engine light or codes but the tech said these 2 monitors are showing not ready. He asked if i had disconnect the battery lately and I said no but two weeks ago I clear the codes for the o2 sensors and the light has not come back on so he said I just need to drive it more. Or to do the drive cycle. This drive cycle is hard enough to do in a busy city the way it tells me to. I replaced the gas cap even though they said it was good cause it would not tighten like its supposed to. Do I need to drive it after I put new gas cap on? I'm stumped I've never had this issue before any ideas?. 2002 camaro v6 3.8

Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Last night I drove 151 miles and they still show not ready. Then I did the gas cap today but haven't driven it just idled and revs.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Also when u do GM drive cycle it says in beginning to turn on ac and rear defroster. And also to hold steady speeds. Well my rear defroster don't work and neither does my cruise control. What if defroster don't work and trying to hold steady speeds with out cruise for 3 and 5 min is tough. And also slowing down to 20mph without brakes or clutch?? I don't have a long straightaway with no stop signs stoplights and traffic out of the way and plus with expired tag ill get pulled over for sure trying to do this over and over.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
gm_

I have never been a fan of clearing codes after repairs. If you do the repair and perform the drive cycle, the light will shut off. This tells you that the system is ready. No hassle of dealing with the guessing game. I have done this for 13+ years, and has yet to fail me.

Are you using the drive cycle from the OBDII site? This entire drive cycle should not take you more than 30 minutes to complete. You are going too far if you have done 151 miles for this. Normally I do them late night/early morning, before everyone gets on the road. Then I will let it sit and then do it again the next day before taking it for the testing.

When they say steady speed, it doesn't mean that if you drift from 55 to 53 that it will void process. About the slowing down, I normally do this while taking the ramp to get off the highway/freeway, just let off the gas and coast.

Are you using a scan tool to see if its ready?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes I'm using a scan tool and it shows 2 Inc. Evap and Egr not ready. So I can leave my manual stick in 4th gear al the way down to 20? I Googled GM drive cycle and it tells me to do this drive process. Itsays should take 15 min. Is there another one I can try?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok Update.. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and the EGR Valve today. Took it for a few drives around the block but still not ready. Wanted to go for a longer drive tonite and do and EGR shows ready now. Evap still not ready. I believe for my year I am allowed 1 not ready. Will have to check again. If yes I can get my sticker. Tomorrow is the 4th of July not sure if state inspection is open.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Overdrive Member

The Evap requires 3 successfuly run tests to claim ready. I have had them complete in one day and sometimes 4 or 5 days.

Massey