93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Estimated dyno hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Default Estimated dyno hp?

Alright so im basically lookin for someone who has the usual bolts ons and good stuff...exhaust, intake etc etc.. Im curious if anyones dyno'd their car afterwards.... I have 2001 camaro(3.8) and id like to see it in the 220hp+ range(dyno not estimated), just looking too see if anyones bothered getting a dyno test afterwards. Im not looking to make a track car or anything but ive driven acouple cars in the 230hp range and they felt pretty fast (fun fast...not **** your pants SS fast which is prefered but ehh) at bone stock my 3.8 runs strong but hasnt quite hit that fun to drive level yet, and im just curious if after dumping 2k into exhaust intake and lightweight moving parts is going to put me in that fun to drive zone or what.

My little scale of hp just for your reference

160hp gets you to work and around the occasional semi
200hp gets you to work and around the occasional semi with a smirk
230hp makes you take the backroads to get to work with a wide *** grin
300hp makes you leave for work but opt to skip out and head to the local dragstrip
500hp white knuckle ride thats either the funnest moment in your life...or the scariest but your not too sure cuz if you think about anything but keeping your eye on the road....your going to die

Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Estimated dyno hp?

I am assuming you are talking about fly wheel HP & not brake HP? If so 220-230 is a very reasonable goal.

You can get a Cold air intake with a K&N filter which will add about 5 HP (give or take depending on conditions) A good intake or lid should be anywhere from $70 to $120.

A good catback exhuast like magnaflow or borla will get you some decent HP numbers also. I dont know for sure, but my guess would be about 10-15HP. Exspect to pay about $400 to $800 for a good cat back. You can do the install your self if you have a free weekend. I would suggest Magna Flow for performence & cost. You can get a Magna flow for about $400-$500 and it will give you a good sound with good performence. Flow masters sound good, but I havent seen any impressive performence from them. Borla is a very good brand, but exspect to pay alot more than the other brands.

Finally you could get some Pacesetter Headers. They arnt very exspencive (~$240 for both headers & the Y-pipe) however installation can cost more than the product, if you are going to have a mechanic do it. Again this is only an estimate but I would exspect about 20 HP from them.

And that will get you well over 230 HP and about 260-270 tourq. If your still not satified you can have her tuned and do some other things like a chip. All of those things I mentions above can be found on www.summitracing.com or any other major parts suplier. I have seen cat back exhuast go for a bit less on other smaller part store sites, so if you want to save some cash you will have to look around a bit. You can also find intakes on www.ebay.com if you dont "have to have" the named brand stuff.

Good luck with your mods, if you find your self wanting more & more HP, you could look for a cam shaft or maybe some nitrous.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Well i read an article these fellas are doing on a V6 to get it into the 240hp range, they just started but they dynoed a stock v6 at 160 hp at the wheels which is quite a bit less than i expected...30hp loss in drivetrain is alot. So im thinking without any major engine mods...exhaust headers intake id only be looking at 200hp at the wheels, bout 30 shy of what im lookin for :/

heres the article

http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/index.htm

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
4th Gear Member

full bolt ons usually get the 200rwhp on the dyno

I've seen cam and vavletrain builds produce 220-250rwhp

and then forced induction will normally put you high 200's rwhp

Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
4th Gear Member

doesnt the powerdyne claim it adds 150 to flywheel which would be like 310 at wheel? and it also claims you can run it without changing internals, is that true too? and do any of ya know how much HP stroking mine would get me. thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

doesnt the powerdyne claim it adds 150 to flywheel which would be like 310 at wheel? and it also claims you can run it without changing internals, is that true too? and do any of ya know how much HP stroking mine would get me. thanks
No, the 3.8 Camaro has 200HP/225trq at the flywheel and about 160-170 going to the wheels.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok, and what is it for the 3.4 Camaro? TIA

ORIGINAL: TheStig

No, the 3.8 Camaro has 200HP/225trq at the flywheel and about 160-170 going to the wheels.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

doesnt the powerdyne claim it adds 150 to flywheel which would be like 310 at wheel?
hahaha...oh god (srry but that statement is too funny)

Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member

i didnt mean the powerdyne would add 310 to the wheel, i meant overall 310-ish at wheel, but after math, it's more like 285/290.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM

Full bolt ons are what i like to stick with... more hp, better gas mileage, better durability and cheap and easy. For me getting into replacing cams and rockers...its just alittle more than im willing to do on a v6 that i use as a daily driver...i just want to get the full potential out of my engine without making it any less reliable, so basically im looking at 200rwhp till 2009 when i get the new big dog mmmmmm.

Quick Reply: Estimated dyno hp?