93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Drive Shaft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Drive Shaft Problem

Hello all. I'm new here and I am having some issues with my drive shaft on my 96 v6 camaro with 150,000 miles. Last week I started hearing a rubbing sound coming from the rear end of my car. I brought my car in and had my brakes redone (new pads, rotors, drums, calipers, etc.)The brakes were really bad anyways so I thought this would take care of the squeaking problem... wrong. So I brought it back to the shop and they put my car up on the lift and we listened to the lovely squeak. They said it was probably the u joint and it wouldn't cost too much to fix. Fast forward a few days and I bring my car to my mechanic. He just called to tell me that I need a whole new drive shaft. Only problem is that it's $900 from GM! He says I need a 2 piece drive shaft that will fit my v6 car and it should have 3 or 4 joints on it. I have been looking for a less expensive part online and it seems all I can find is a 1 piece drive shaft. I've been told if I get a 1 piece drive shaft, then I will have to do mods to the undercarrige in order to fit this new drive shaft in. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Drive Shaft Problem

You can find used drive shafts. I got one out of florida off e-bay. That whole compound driveshaft is just dumb. I do know that you can replace it with a straight driveshaft but I have no experience with this. Try e-bay. Try some other sources and find yourself a used shaft. I hope you find one and I offer a collective shaking of the fist to the engineer who thought this drive shaft was a good plan. When the shaft ultimately fails, which happened to me. It absolutely annihilates the rubber housing between the two shafts and the whole thing hops like a mother. At that point you're dead in the water. If the thing is squeaking now you're maybe a couple weeks out from this thing totally imploding on you. That's about how long it took mine. Good luck to you!

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

A straight shaft from any 4th gen v8 f-body, auto or manual, will bolt right in. I got a stock torque arm from the trans am I got my goodies out of as well, just eliminated that bracket in the middle of the v6 torque arm.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM

My mechanic seems pretty sure that I need a 2 piece drive shaft... So you're saying a 1 piece will fit right in with not mods or anything?

I would like to roundhouse kick whoever at GM thought this 2 piece drive shaft was a good idea!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Correct. You can get a steel one really cheap.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Any recommendations on a reputable place to buy one online? I am in the boonies of NH.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd try ebay if you want to go online, but only buy from a seller with good feedback. If I were you though, I'd go to a wrecking yard and pull one. That way you can make sure the joints are good.

here's one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...mZ390003883479

Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM

I found a used drive shaft with 87,000 mi. on it from Camaro Heaven down in Laconia NH for $125! I'm going to grab that and have it put into my baby. Thanks for all of the insight everyone! Much appreciated!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Tell your mechanic he is a retard. Is the one you bought aluminum or steel?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM

I got a steel one. I should be getting it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it is. I talked to my GM mechanic friend and he said you can use either one but for the mileage that I have, he said I should just try the used one first.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft Problem