93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Do headers make a difference performance wise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Do headers make a difference performance wise?

Are headers worth to buy? I could understand that it'll make your Camaro breath better, but does it increase your HP? I'm thinking about getting Pace headers, so what you guys think?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Do headers make a difference performance wise?

in the 4th gen section there is a writup that talks about how headers work. "basic modifications tech". basically, your engine is just a big pump, designed to take in air and fuel, combust it, and get it out again. the faster and more efficiently it can do this the more power it will make, so anything which allows a freer movement of the air will increase power. if you think about it, each of ur cylinders is sucking air through a straw. try it some time, it sucks [8D]. use a bigger straw and you get more air. more air = more fuel that can burn = more power.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

For sure, I'm going to get them in a couple of weeks cause i have to take my car in this week to get a new transmission. There's weird popping sounds when I try to go fast and a weird clanking noise when i floor it. The mechanic said it has something to do with the tranny.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

beutiful hit on the theroy there spectar....spects got great tech knowlege but somtimes forgets that dosent make a whooooole lot of sence to us Dum dumbs..... in short yes headers will make a rather signifgant differance to your preformance. however they are not a good staring point. you need to start with with a cold air intake then cat back exaught. then headers take care of the front and back of the system before the middle. so if were talking numbers not a terrible estimate to expect from 15-18 horse power from a set off headers. If your going to get pacesetters, make sure to get the Ceramic coated ones and not the painted ones the painted ones are **** to rusting. in addtion headers are part of a complete set of bolt ones the power you gain from bolt ons will only increase as you add more agressive mods.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

+1 on ceramics. definitly worth the extra cost. the last thing you want is for your headers to rust out and have to replace then in a couple years

Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

no +1 on dum dumbs.... anyway ya but like i said you not going to get nearly as much out of your headers if you dont have the rest of youe exaughstsystem upgraded so start with the rest of it....

Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

IF you can afford it, it's really nice to do it all at once. I personally would start with the headers and work back. You really need it all to much, and having the stock manifold running into a custom exhaust doesn't really improve anything. Gotta get the ceramic headers, the others do indeed rust. Spec or Nic, what do you think about wrapping them? I've heard so much good and bad, not sure what to recomend anymore....

Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I already have a Flowmaster catback exhaust system with a magnaflow catalytic converter. Don't forget my black w/ chrome lip 19' rims nuckaaaaa. So all i really need now is the headers and cold air intake. But damn, cold air intake is expensive (k & n).

Old 04-19-2008, 12:08 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Look an ebay, you can find a cheap tube with a K&N filter on it. To me, a tubes a tube. Why pay $200 when you can pay $60? not sure what your car is, but here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-Ca...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-19-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Doesnt look like it'll fit my car. Seems Euro style.

Quick Reply: Do headers make a difference performance wise?