93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A different way to change the spark plug.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default A different way to change the spark plug.

A different way to change the spark plug.

When I first tried to replace my spark plugs I couldn’t get the swivel socket wrench to loosen the plugs due to lack of room so I improvised and came up with this technique.The directions in the Haynes Repair Manual are absolutly NO HELP, Even the picture showing the location is worthless. It looks like the camera guy had his thumb over the lens. Just get under the car and lookon either side of the engine with your flashlightuntil you see a grey or black wire going into an L shaped boot with an aluminum cover over it. I've attached the picture from the manual below.

TIP:
I found it useful to have both a standard spark plug socket and the swiveled one because one is slightly longer than the other and when you only have inches to work in every little bit helps.

1). Jack up the car on both sides making sure you have backup supportsand stoppers behind your rear wheels forextra safety(Be sure you put the jack in the correct part of the frame which can be located by looking for a slight indention under the driver and passenger doors by the front tires)

2). Slip under the car andremove the spark plug heat shield and boot located on either side of the engine making sure not to pull from the wire but from the boot instead. The wires are very fragile and although I wasn’t planning on replacing them I pulled one off the boot and had to replace it anyways. (Not all of the spark plug wires have an aluminumboot cover)

3). Slip the socket over the spark plug and make sure it’s on tight.

4). slip out from under the car and attach the wrench to the spark plug socket from the engine compartment and unscrewedthespark plugsfrom there.

If you cant find your spark plugs…
(If you look on either side of the engine you will see a silver oval shaped box looking compartment attached to the engine which is directly above the spark plugs. Put your hand under there and feel for where the spark plug socket is then attach the wrench by feel. If you don’t have enough room try using the other socket wrench)

5).Replace spark plugs with the titanium spark plugs that are guaranteed to last 100,000 miles. (its hard enough to do this once you don’t want to do it again in 30,000 miles)

6)If you’re replacing the spark plug wiresremove them one at a time so you don’t mix up which spark plug wires go where. I drew a diagram to be sure I knew. Make sure if you use a diagram that you include your point of view like "from under the car" or "from over the engine compartment" "passenger side", "driver side" and "back or front of engine".

(Another tip is to mark the spark plug wires with the number 1-6 or 1-8of the cylinder that correlates to that wire as you take them off so you know what size wire went to what spark plug. The replacement spark plug wires might not be exactly the same size asthe ones you take off your car so don’t be surprised if this happens.)

7) Before starting your car check to make sure you got the wires right and be sure you didn’t leave any tools under the hood.

8). start her up and drive away.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  105.6 KB