Spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Spark plug change

I was wondering if there are any special things I need to know about changing my plugs. Are there any I need to get from some weird angle or any special tools. my brother has an LT1 in his Caprice and I know he always had problems trying to reach the plugs towards the back.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Spark plug change

yea its a pain in the @$$ on any 93-02 camaro. drink beer before you start.trust me.

https://camaroforums.com/m_133808/tm.htm

Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Be ready for it cause it is going to take hours. I refuse to do that job and took it into a shop and it took the poor guy almost 8 hours to do it. I have been told there are tools made for the job and that you really cant do it without a lift. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: MegzZ28
I have been told there are tools made for the job and that you really cant do it without a lift.
You can't. You have to jack up the car or put it on a ramp, or just lift it all up. The back two plugs on each side can only be reached from under the car. I can't even see them looking from above.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Its really pricey to get it done in a shop though unless you have a hook up. I paid like $300 but most places were quoting over $500.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

yea its a pain in the @$$ on any 93-02 camaro. drink beer before you start.trust me.

https://camaroforums.com/m_133808/tm.htm
Tried that and all I got was half a tune up and **** faced!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

I can do it all from the top but thats just because of the extra room i got with the LT's.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

you don't mention what engine you are dealing with but I did it the other day in about 3 hours and thats with breaks and playing around alittle. I have an LS1 and all I did was remove the coil packs and A.I.R. tubes from the headers. No special tools needed, unless you are talking about the sparkplug socket with the rubber bushing. Also you only have to dothis on the passenger side, the driver side for the most part is easy to reach.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Droid

If you are dealing with a stock LT1 in a 4th gen Camaro, Have fun. The easiest way (for me) is to unbolt the head pipes from the exhaust manifolds and let the drop out of the way, and you also may want to remove the alternator. If you want to unbolt the head pipes, spray penetrating oil on the studs & nuts every day for a week, otherwise the stud may just break off into the exhaust manifold. Get a bunch of different length spark plug sockets and flex head ratchets, the best is probably the SK Roto Ratchet for aircraft work. What also works good is a socket with an X head one end and a ratcheting box wrench. Give yourself most of the day, get a case of beer or a lot of hot chocolate if it is a cold day. Don't drink too much coffee as you don't want to go crazy when you have a hand stuck between an exhaust manifold and the bodywork of the car. You want to remain calm and avoid loosing part of your skin. LOL
Get the longest lasting spark plugs you can find, The Delco OEM are probably the best (expensive), as after the first time changing plugs, you don't want to revisit this job again for the life of the car.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ive done it. It helps to have a swivel for your socket for some plugs. It also helps to have the type of spark plug socket that can be turned with both wrench and ratchet. Either way, take your time and dont get so pissed [:@]off that you punch your car....

Quick Reply: Spark plug change