93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Denso Iridium Plugs/MSD Wires on 3.8L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Default Denso Iridium Plugs/MSD Wires on 3.8L?

Anyone used Denso Iridium Plugs? I'm planning to use them with MSD 8.5mm wires on my 3.8L... Any comments about the Iridiums in general?

Anyone used this combination before?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't use those, do the smart thing and get NGK TR55's, trust me on that. The wires are ok, but I do prefer Taylor over MSD.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, I already went with the Denso Iridium plugs & MSD wires. The Tom Henry RS project used Denso, see:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm
and
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part3.htm

and I quote: "We've used the IT-20 since the beginning of the Camaro Performers magazine version of this project in 2005 and always have had good results. It is a heat range colder than stock and its iridium tip is more durable but has less resistance than platinum. Its small, 0.4-mm center electrode and tapered ground electrode give the spark maximum exposure to the incoming, air-fuel charge. In short, we think the IT-20 is the best spark plug choice for 3800s in street high-performance and mild racing applications."

Question I have is who's wire looms/separators did you guys use for your 8.5mm wires? I am thinking the MSD 121-8843 -- can anyone comment if they work well for the intended purpose? See:
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8843/10002/-1

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-22-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Kewl waste of money there captain. For all you other V6 guys, save your money and buy the right plugs please. Do not waste money on those. Iridiums in our application are not a good choice, the NGK's have been proven time and time again to be a durable and properly suited plug for these cars, and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Read my quote above, and besides, I am not sure what credentials you have over the Tom Henry Racing crew, but I think I'll defer to them... ;-)

Originally Posted by musicman
Kewl waste of money there captain. For all you other V6 guys, save your money and buy the right plugs please. Do not waste money on those. Iridiums in our application are not a good choice, the NGK's have been proven time and time again to be a durable and properly suited plug for these cars, and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I read it, they sound like know-it-all morons. There's numbers, then there's truth. Believe what you want, but nearly every 3800 builder out there recommends stock coils and ngk plugs. ZZP, Intense, Abbott, Milzy, you name it. As well as all of the knowledgeable members on FTV6, PDXCGP, CGP, 3800pro, PGPF, etc. There's experience, then there's morons that know didly about 3800's.

Last edited by MusicMan; 06-22-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM
4th Gear Member

NGK TR55s never made any difference in my car over any other iridium plug. Unless you're running a heavily modded car, your plugs won't make that big of a diff. Thus I just don't worry about it. Knowledgeable doesn't have to mean you have a crazy modded car, Steve. Denso Iridium plugs do just fine (I used them once as well as NGK TR55s...) I just stick with my AC Delco plugs k?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Point is that there's no reason to pay more for something that isn't going to do you didly squat. The OP asked for opinions about his selection, little did I know that he didn't give a crap what others think.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Of course, AC Delco plugs are actually made by NGK... ;-) Not much of a difference there... ;-) Denso is also Japanese... Denso is standard OEM on some GM cars 2004 forward, I have read.

Originally Posted by evilkal
NGK TR55s never made any difference in my car over any other iridium plug. Unless you're running a heavily modded car, your plugs won't make that big of a diff. Thus I just don't worry about it. Knowledgeable doesn't have to mean you have a crazy modded car, Steve. Denso Iridium plugs do just fine (I used them once as well as NGK TR55s...) I just stick with my AC Delco plugs k?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Not true, I value opinions, but more weight is given to ones which are substantiated and have credentials over ones that are/do not...

Originally Posted by musicman
Point is that there's no reason to pay more for something that isn't going to do you didly squat. The OP asked for opinions about his selection, little did I know that he didn't give a crap what others think.

Quick Reply: Denso Iridium Plugs/MSD Wires on 3.8L?