93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Post couple questions

Ok i have a couple questions to ask im a car noob so dont hate

1st question: I have a k&N CAI and the guy I bought the car from has a smaller tube going into the k&n housing and when i took it off to look inside there is like black motor oil inside the black rubber hose that connects to the sfi lid is this normal or not?

Someone told me a bad pcv valve is the cause of this i just know when where crusing down the road you can smell oil in the air. It dont have an oil leak that i know of i check the oil dipstick the levels are perfect and stay the same.

2nd question: Im having power steering problems its going through about a bottle every week to week and a half. How do I check the hoses to make sure its not the hose? If it is the power steering when will i know i have to replace that? Im just not trying to spend butt loads on a mechanic or on parts i dont necessarily need to buy?

It is a 1995 Camaro 3.4L 5 Speed

Thanks for any help

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like someone over-oiled their reusable filter…

PCV is a quick and cheap item to swap out -- inspect yours.

That's a lot of power steering leakage. Are you seeing any puddles under the car?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Ill give the pcv a look but the k&n filter is a pain cause I have to jack the car up

and there is fluid being sprayed in the motor compartment and nothin on the ground

Old 09-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member

^ Well on the newer year Camaros, there are fold out flaps for that underside black plastic, you could replace yours with the newer ones making access easier…

Check your PS cap for starters, is there a LOT of liquid all around the reservoir? Do a good power wash/degrease in the engine bay so you can see better where the leaks are.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by CountTripula
I have a k&N CAI and the guy I bought the car from has a smaller tube going into the k&n housing and when i took it off to look inside there is like black motor oil inside the black rubber hose that connects to the sfi lid is this normal or not?
Someone told me a bad pcv valve is the cause of this i just know when where crusing down the road you can smell oil in the air.
That's a crankcase vent hose. Oil inside that hose would not be from an over-oiled filter, it would be from having blowby issues (too much combustion pressure pushing past the rings and into the crankcase). Could be from a clogged PCV valve causing excess crankcase pressure, or could be just plain old engine wear. Replace the PCV valve, clean out the oil, and keep an eye on it.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM
4th Gear Member

As for the power steering, the way you make it sound is the pressure side hose has a hole or tear in it somewhere. Pop the hood, have someone else start the car and turn the wheel back and forth while you look under the hood. See if you can find where it's spraying from.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ok as for the pcv valve i just checked it and its still good not cloogged and i do believe its the pressure hose on ps but im going to start it and try that

as for the crank case not to sure what i can do about that without putting some money in it i bought the car for $2000 and the guy told me he kept up good with the car

if i got to do more than enough work i might as well sell it and look into a z28 that i can toy with

Old 09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you see that more oil is making it's way out of that hose, you can make or buy a catch can that you would put anywhere between the two ends. Basically, it would be a drop off point for the oily fumes to get trapped, instead of getting sucked into the intake and making a mess there. Google "oil catch can".

Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Overdrive Member

The OP should post a picture of the K&N hose that has the oil in it… Pictures tell a thousand words!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Items 20 and 15 i wasnt to sure about proper terminology so i found a diagram but these two are the ones with oil in it

Quick Reply: couple questions