93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default cooling problem

well here it is i have a 1993 with a 3.4 and i had an overheating problem. i put in a new water pump and thermo i doubled checked all the hoses and the fan and the plastic piece under the radiatior. i then took a water hose and blew all the crud out of the heater core and flushed it twice. then i drove it 9 hours straight with no issues then i shut id off for a couple of days then it starting to over heat again. any ideas

Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i forgot to mention that when i start it up without the rad car on coolant starts to pour out of the top after a min or so

Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

that dosent help im wanting to know what the problem could be and im not losing coolant it seems as tho its not circulating thru the heater core

Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Change your radiator. Thats pretty much all you have left if you have done the rest.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

By "overheating," what exactly do you mean? How high is it getting? It's really only damaging once it gets into the red zone at 258 degrees F.

Running the car with the rad cap off, it should act exactly the way you mentioned and start to spill over. That's because the coolant in the engine is expanding with heat. The caps for these vehicles have a valve built in for expanding coolant to flow out to the overflow tank when it reaches a certain pressure.

If you aren't losing any coolant, but it's still overheating, then there's a restriction in either the coolant flow or the air flow through the rad (possibly both). With the tranny in park/neutral, run the car with the A/C on. The fans should be on if the A/C is on. Turn the carr off, then turn off the A/C and start the car again. Run it with the A/C OFF this time, until it gets to normal temp. While you're waiting, visually check the rad for leaves, dirt, etc restricting air flow.

When it gets warm, the fans should come on. If they don't, you'll need to find out why (just because the fans don't come on, that doesn't always mean it's a bad fan). If they do come on, wait a few minutes and see if the engine temp gets any higher. If it doesn't, you might have an assistant rev the engine to about 2k to 2.5k for a minute. If it starts getting warmer, you should hear the fans come on to high speed at some point. One common problem is that fans come on at low, but not high speed. That's usually fine as long as you're moving, but if you're in a lot of stop-go traffic or stuck at a lot of red lights, you'll overheat really fast.

If the fans are coming on like they're supposed to (both low and high speeds), and there's no airflow restriction in the splines of the radiator, then check to ensure that your rad cap is rated for the right PSI and your thermostat is rated for the right temp. If the cap isn't right, it might send too much coolant to the overflow tank. If the thermostat opens at the wrong temp, it'll block coolant flow.

If everything above checks out, try flushing the system again. There's probably something clogging things up. A clogged heater core wouldn't cause the car to overheat, just cause the heater to blow cool air (coolant would still flow through everywhere else, just not to the heater). A clog somewhere else, such as a sticking thermostat, would cause overheating for sure.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by gville4life
that dosent help im wanting to know what the problem could be and im not losing coolant it seems as tho its not circulating thru the heater core
From the other post when the exact same question was asked.

Originally Posted by Gorn
You need to put a gage on it to see if your building pressure. If you rad is not flowing well it was cause the decribed issue but it will not build pressure. Rad flush is a easy fix

Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oakay i see now what happens after starting is the car will sit for about 5 min then already be in the red zaone but all the hoses are cool but when i shut it off and remove the rad cap coolant comes rushing out so there is pressure but when it first starts to come out its cooler then after a couple of seconds it warms up

Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
4th Gear Member

Has anyone put any type stop leak stuff in that car? If so, you might have some clogged passages going through the heads. 5 minutes to get in the red zone is PDQ. I believe in another post, you said you had already replaced the thermo. Have you by chance test it to see if it is bad, even though it is a new one?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have put three of them in since i got it 2 months ago

Quick Reply: cooling problem