93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Considering PaceSetter Headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I have Pacesetters on mine, and i'm not sure if it was worth it or not, honestly.

It does add some power. How much? not sure exactly. But the few people that have driven my car before and after the install immediately commented on the added power. Of course, I also had a computer tune at the same time, so its hard to tell.

The EGR hookup was the worst part. I broke my tube because it was so far off and ended up removing the EGR system entirely. I still get pretty good economy though - mid 20's in city driving, low 30's highway. If the hookup is different on the 01 and 02 models that might be worth checking, but I didn't know that when I was installing mine.

I spent more money on the exhaust plumbing, clamps, and hardware than on the headers themselves. Metal gaskets, grade 8 hardware (they come with grade 5 bolts - lame), SLP S-pipe, and about 6 stainless band clamps. If you can weld i'm sure you'll do better than I did.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96 3.8L Texas
I heard clearing the steering knuckle can be tight (?). Couldn't hurt to have your car exhale a little better, but value might depend on how much money is laying around in one's bank account right? I'd like to do OBX or Pacesetter sometime, its just not as high on the list as keeping-the-car-running items right now.
The steering knuckle is tight, but I think the linkage is adjustable a little bit to help this. I had about 1/8" clearance (!) when I first installed.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, its been 3 days since i emailed and he guys at FFF and they haven't gotten back with me about the headers and the turbo setups they offer...

any ideas about how to ahold of them??

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Masospaghetti
I have Pacesetters on mine, and i'm not sure if it was worth it or not, honestly.

It does add some power. How much? not sure exactly. But the few people that have driven my car before and after the install immediately commented on the added power. Of course, I also had a computer tune at the same time, so its hard to tell.
My computer has already been tuned and i noticed quite a bit of low end power... I was hoping for more across the rpm band.

The EGR hookup was the worst part. I broke my tube because it was so far off and ended up removing the EGR system entirely. I still get pretty good economy though - mid 20's in city driving, low 30's highway. If the hookup is different on the 01 and 02 models that might be worth checking, but I didn't know that when I was installing mine.
Thats my biggest worry. Why is the egr so hard? did they not put the mouting boss in the right place? seems they could easily fix that problem.... I have an automatic car so my milage isn't quite that good. i reget i didn't get a stick car.... but i own this one now.

I spent more money on the exhaust plumbing, clamps, and hardware than on the headers themselves. Metal gaskets, grade 8 hardware (they come with grade 5 bolts - lame), SLP S-pipe, and about 6 stainless band clamps. If you can weld i'm sure you'll do better than I did.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 AM

i have the headers n they r awesum!!!!
its a 3 inch outlet off the headers tho.
and be carefull with the egr valve adaptor hose, i broke mine 2 months ago....STILL looking for a replacement, its a discontinued part.
dont get the balck painted ones, the paint peels off from the heat, u might as well pay the extra money for the jet coated headers, i should have.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SCar1324
i have the headers n they r awesum!!!!
its a 3 inch outlet off the headers tho.
and be carefull with the egr valve adaptor hose, i broke mine 2 months ago....STILL looking for a replacement, its a discontinued part.
dont get the balck painted ones, the paint peels off from the heat, u might as well pay the extra money for the jet coated headers, i should have.
How much of a power gain did you have? You had the better flowing exhaust manifold anyway being an 01 so i would probably see more than you did but still, what did you notice?

Also, why is the egr so difficult? Everyone says that... Anyone have any tips on how NOT to break it and get them installed correctly?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Email FFF's Tiago Salies <tiago94fb@hotmail.com>

Originally Posted by midwestdave33
Ok, its been 3 days since i emailed and he guys at FFF and they haven't gotten back with me about the headers and the turbo setups they offer...

any ideas about how to ahold of them??

Old 06-27-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by midwestdave33
Also, why is the egr so difficult? Everyone says that... Anyone have any tips on how NOT to break it and get them installed correctly?
Pacesetter simply puts the EGR boss in the wrong place. It's off by a good inch or so, and angled wrong. You have to bend your EGR tube inward to line it up but it's near impossible, if not completely impossible - especially since our tubes are old now and brittle. Even if you can get it to line up without breaking, it's almost sure to leak because of GM's stupid 1-bolt attach flanges (they rely on proper alignment of the tube to seal correctly; a normal 2-bolt flange would be much more robust).

You could probably make a corrugated gas line for an appliance work but it would take some fabrication on your part.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Email FFF's Tiago Salies <tiago94fb@hotmail.com>

I had already, but i shot him a second e-mail and he got back with me some time ago. The turbo's are beyond my budget and good judgement both.$ 4,500.00= *salty* And the long tube headers are as well. I'd like to stick with the factory routing on the exhaust even though i plan on adding some headers and a larger primary pipe to complement my Z28 style muffler and tailpipes.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pacesetter simply puts the EGR boss in the wrong place. It's off by a good inch or so, and angled wrong. You have to bend your EGR tube inward to line it up but it's near impossible, if not completely impossible - especially since our tubes are old now and brittle. Even if you can get it to line up without breaking, it's almost sure to leak because of GM's stupid 1-bolt attach flanges (they rely on proper alignment of the tube to seal correctly; a normal 2-bolt flange would be much more robust).

You could probably make a corrugated gas line for an appliance work but it would take some fabrication on your part.
Ok, what about cutting and modifying the headers? Could a guy relocate thier mounting boss to make it closer to factory location? I would prefer to cut and reweld them as oppeosed to ****ing with the EGR on the car side of the equation...

Quick Reply: Considering PaceSetter Headers ?