93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Considering a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Considering a Camaro

They are mechanically the same exact car, just different body work.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Hey one more Q. what exactly is the difference between the Camaro V6 and the Firebird V6. I know that the Firebird is built using the same frame and engine, but do they use the same trannies, and how well are they made in comparison to the Camaro, because price wise I'm findingthat the Firebird is a little cheaper than the Camaro.
Flip-up headlights. And nicer seats.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ive heard that firebirds have a little more mechanical problems with the power window motors but other than that they perform and function basically the same

Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

98 3.8 with the 5spd. I've seen 33 mpg on the Interstate before it got really hot outside running between 70 and 75 MPH. Most recently I was running between 75 and 80 with the A/C full blast and got 29 MPG.

The ride is smooth and comfy, thanks to the long wheelbase. There really is not much wind noise either (compared to a 2000 Cavalier anyway). The 5 speed makes it plenty of fun. It is the 2nd easiest car I've every changed oil on. (#1 being my Fiance's PT cruiser. I'm still amazed how easy it is.)

I bought it in Feb/March of this year. I picked it up at a buy-here pay-here type lot, so I bought somebody else's problems though. A/C was broken, 1 bad Coil pack and the Alternator died. It did come with a 90 day warranty, and everything was fixed within that period. Since then it's been smooth sailing.

The alternator is a 10 minute swapout (Did it in the Autozone parking lot). Mechanically, what can I say? It's a GM 3800 Series II mated to a Borg Warner T5 transmission. It will start every time I turn the key, and as long as I don't do anything stupid the trans should last just as long.

EDIT:
ORIGINAL: jthorn9

... but performance is down in the autos (which is what I'm looking at because I'm getting tired of Ford manuals and their stiffness), and MPG, in some cases, isn't much better than my 5.0, but they do meet the reliability part. So it's up in the air, it's probably going to come down to the right deal at the right time, but I'm probably going to be looking more into a 4th gen Camaro, than an Sn-95 (edge included) sixer.
My 5 speed shifter in my 'maro is anything but stiff. It's actually been one of the smoothest shifting cars I've ever owned. If you can get your hands on one, don't discount the 5-speeds in the V6 F-bodies. Try it before you buy it kind of thing. If you're around the Columbus, IN area, I'd be willing to let you try mine out.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
4th Gear Member

can i borrow your car for the weekend?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

can i borrow your car for the weekend?
Har Har. No, but if you want to see what a V6 5spd is like, I'll be more than happy to take you around, and let you drive a bit.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Member

fine squisher.[:@]