93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car won't start - tried everything under the sun...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Unhappy car won't start - tried everything under the sun...

Hey there,

I have a 1997 v6 3.8 Chevy Camaro that im having trouble repairing and/or diagnosing. Ive even taken it to a mechanic and no one can figure it out.

Let me explain…

The car will not start, the ignition works, the car cranks, the fuel pump works, and the coilpack has power. However there is no spark produced whatsoever by the car whatsoever.

I have gone in and replaced the Crank Sensor, AND the Ignition Module, but with no luck… nothing can explain why the car won’t spark, and my mechanic can’t even figure it out.

Does anyone have experience with this?

The spark plugs and plug wires and coils are all brand new as well. And there’s no break in any of the wires or curcuits, all of which are getting power and test out good.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear member

does it have an icm?ignition control module

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jeremykrak
Hey there,

I have a 1997 v6 3.8 Chevy Camaro that im having trouble repairing and/or diagnosing. Ive even taken it to a mechanic and no one can figure it out.

Let me explain…

The car will not start, the ignition works, the car cranks, the fuel pump works, and the coilpack has power. However there is no spark produced whatsoever by the car whatsoever.

I have gone in and replaced the Crank Sensor, AND the Ignition Module, but with no luck… nothing can explain why the car won’t spark, and my mechanic can’t even figure it out.

Does anyone have experience with this?

The spark plugs and plug wires and coils are all brand new as well. And there’s no break in any of the wires or curcuits, all of which are getting power and test out good.
Ignition is a pretty simple circuit. Tracking down what is getting a signal and what is not should not be hard. Get a new mechanic.

Does the computer see the cranks sensors data? A basic scan tool should show this. Does the computer send out a signal to the spark modual?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Originally Posted by Gorn
Get a new mechanic.
Amen.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

agree with gorn. u can spend alot replacing a bunch of stuff shooting in the dark. a diognosic tool should be able to find the probem. could be a number of things. bcm, vatts, wiring, ecu come to mind.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Got a question...when the dashboard lights up, is the security light staying on? Have a '95 that starts when it feels like it. Have replaced the starter, the ignition, the battery (before all this). Got power, accessories work, but doesn't start. Try, try again and sometimes it works. Usually four or five attempts, today not at all.

Had an aftermarket security system. Had a suggestion that might be part of it. Removed it yesterday, no luck. The alarm guys thought perhaps a connection in the ignition, or perhaps programming in it? Would like to know what you find.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
2nd Gear member

oops,sorry.i see you have replaced icm.what about cam sensor?didnt someone say it will run off cam sensor if you unplug the crank sensor?but as always get it scanned if you can first

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM

What was the problem. Did you fix it?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
2nd Gear member

It wouldnt be the vatts, I know that. If it was, the car wouldn't crank. If you have a problem with the vatts, the car will automatically disable the starter and fuel pump for 5 minutes. If you basically replaced the whole ignition system, than this only leaves me with a couple ideas.
Are you certain it wont turn over because of there being no spark? My guess is the problem could be the starter itself. Does it crank slowly? Its possible that if it is your starter, the ground could have just gone bad. Ive run into this problem with a couple different cars. Or the starter could simply be on its last leg.
Also, check your battery, I noticed the camaros need a higher cranking amp battery than most cars and therefore usually need to be fully charged to work. Mine at least wont turn over if its even slightly low.
One other thing does come to mind. Did you check you pull your plugs after it didn't start still even with you replacing them? I ran into this rare predicament with my cavalier. The valve gasket was leaking and oil drowned my spark plugs. Its rare for that to happen and for you not to realize an old spark plug thats black when changing it, but its just a thought.
I would recommend checking out your starter unless you know for sure its a spark problem in which case I would check the battery.
Of course, everyone does have the simplest idea here. Go to a shop, auto zone, pep boys or something, most of them will do free scans, or if not free, the highest i have heard of is $10. They will give you the codes and tell you what each code is. No more guessing, get it done, there ya go.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Another one post wonder zombie thread brought up from the dead.
Hey 94, I like how you "dressed" your car for Christmas!

Quick Reply: car won't start - tried everything under the sun...