93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car starting up rough. need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default car starting up rough. need help

I have a 95 3.4l camaro. For the past day or two when i go to start the camaro up it usually takes two times.. the first time it goes to crank over but just doesnt quite get there. The second time she turns right over. It seems that after it runs for a lil bit it starts up better on the first try. Also i notice a slight hesitation when i step on the gas.almost like fuel isnt getting to where it needs to get to. Could it be some sort of filter.. maybe a fuel filter? I dont know too much so any advice or suggestions as to what i can try/ do is greatly appreciated guys. thanks in advance

-ed

Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: car starting up rough. need help

Replace the fuel filter, especially if you have not done so in a while. Its cheap and then you can eliminte that from the possible problem list, but most likely thats all it is.
Heres a link of how to R&R the fuel filer on a 95 3.4
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801cde6b.jsp

Old 06-19-2007, 03:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for the help. when i got my tune up back in october the mechanic said that my egr valve would need replacing but that it didnt need it yet.. but thats why i was throwing a ses light. could that also be the cause of it..or could it be both.. just wondering. i will deff replace the fuel filter. thanks again

Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear member

When you say it takes two tried to get it started, what exactly do you mean? That you successfully turn the car over for a few revolutions, stop, and try it again, resulting in startup the second try? Or that the first try is hard, slow, and rough?

Referring to the slight stumble throughout the driving range, the EGR valve, if faulty, can most certainly cause that. It is, in theory, a controlled vacuum leak that is designed to only be in use during higher speeds, higher RPMs, and higher engine load. Letting too much in could cause the problem, so I'd have that further investigated. A fuel filter replacement can't hurt, but 99% of any drivability stumbles and hesitations are electricy related, meaning your spark plug wires may be on the fritz, or simply worn out. If they're new, they could be routed incorrectly, causing one or more to have rested on a hot manifold or pipe, causing the outer layer to melt, and then causing the spark to ground through the block rather than the spark plug. So, check the plug wires, make sure the ignition coils are in good shape, and that the module is good. When checking the plug wires, don't assume they're okay because they LOOK good. A plug wire is sometimes very hard to diagnose because the spark has the capability to jump right through miniscule cracks that are invisible to the eye. Remember, there are well over 20,000 volts in the wire, and it wants to get SOMEWHERE!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I should have cleared that up, i mean that the first try is slow, hard and rough. Then upon the second try she fires right up. Yeah im deff going to replace the egr and check the plugs and wires. thanks for your help.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear member

In that case, I'd start by checking battery voltage before you engage the starter. A normal charge should be anywhere from 11.8 to 12.xx. Anything less, and you've got a draw or a weak battery. Now, it's possible that the starter is on it's way out. I was graced the other week by installing a new starter on a Mustang. The complaint was almost the same as yours. I verified the customer complaint and sure enough, while turning the key, it sounded as if it were about to die. It turned over SLOW, and did so for about 4 seconds. After that, it picked up and started. I noticed that it would start if I turned it over, turned it off, and turned it over again. The second try was almost normal. The motor may be getting weak, and as I originally suspected (but later found out was not the case) the starter pinion may have been on the flywheel too tight. I can't say for sure how to exactly test such a component without a removal, so I'd advise you have the shop look into it.

If the starter is to blame, note the following:

GM ACDelco part no. 10465393 - Online list for $150.00
AutoZone Duralast part no. DL6417S - Online list for $101.00 (Core charge included).

Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

im gonna have to agree that its likely a low baterey my car did that same exact thingall winter i think its cause its so cold its a strain on the battery but ya defiently check that